CHAPTER 31

‘No money? --- Oh we have plenty of money,’ he chuckled.  ‘We have more money that you would be able to spend in this lifetime,’ he smiled.

‘But---you told me---.’

‘I told you my father incurred a lot of debt.  Yes that was a fact.  I also told you, you must live frugally,’ he admitted awkwardly.   ‘I was angry at you for choosing Swain’s title over me,’ he growled.  ‘I thought after a month you would throw in the towel and leave me,’ he hung his head.

‘Do you not know how much I love you?’ she decried passionately.  ‘I could never live without you.  You complete me,’ she threw her arms around his neck.  ‘I love you.  I love you.  I love you Chadwick Rochester and I love our cottage.’

‘So you don’t like your castle?’ he was aghast.

“‘My castle?”’

‘Yes this last month, I have been renovating it just for you my love.’

Her eyes flew up to him.  Tears of joy flowed down her cheeks.  ‘You have been busy working like a slave just for me?’  Her fingers brushed over his bruised palms.  He would not reveal it, but he had been digging, and pouring concrete and laying bricks, slaving for Madison, like a cheap labourer, just as his father had accused him, but it was worth all the blood and sweat.  If there had been any tears, they were tears of joy.  The love and appreciation in her eyes were all the grandeur he required.

‘My castle,’ she repeated in a whisper.

‘I contemplated selling it,’ Chadwick spoke softly.  ‘I wanted to be rid of the memories of my father,’ he looked away.

‘Darling no---,’ Madison cupped his face, forcing him to look at her. ‘Please forgive him.  Do not let your anger consume you, please.’

‘He rejected me.  He said I was not ---his son,’ Chadwick’s eyes were glassy.  He tried to get out of Madison’s arms, but she would not allow it.  She pulled his head down and kissed him passionately.

‘He’s not here to hurt you anymore,’ Madison circled her arms protectively around her husband.   She felt desire stir inside her, at the raw emotions on Chadwick’s face.  He was hurting and for once he was leaning emotionally on Madison.  She thought he looked so adorable.  Again she was kissing him.  Her lips parted, her tongue penetrated his lips.  She pulled him closer, whispering endearments in his ear.  When her body pressed against his and she met his firm arousal, she looked up.

‘Let’s go home,’ she urged, rather meaningfully. 

Chadwick smiled.  His fingers brushed her lower lip.   'I ---want you.’

‘And, you can tell I want you too,’ his eyes held amusement.

‘So why aren’t we going?’ she demanded.

‘Your Grace, you are back?’

Madison jumped away from Chadwick.  She had been startled by Carlton’s sudden appearance.

‘Good afternoon duchess,’ Carlton smiled politely.

Duchess!  Carlton works here at this colossal castle?

 ‘Good afternoon,’ she answered uncomfortably.  She wondered if he or any other staff had seen her kissing Chadwick earlier.

‘I brought Her Grace  to view the d’Angers castle,’ Chadwick smiled.

‘His Grace has been working real hard to finish it,’ Carlton exclaimed.  ‘In fact he has finished it a week ahead of schedule.’

‘Finished what?’