CHAPTER 17

‘Mr. Rochester, you are awake.  Thank the good lord.’

‘Who the blazes are you?’ Chadwick quickly lifted the sheet over his unclothed body.  ‘Where the hell am I?’ he looked around the unfamiliar room.

‘My name is Buttons, sir.  You are in the home of Baron Sanford.’

I am in the chit’s home!  What the hell!

‘What am I doing here? ‘Chadwick lifted the covers to get out.  He wanted answers.

Buttons quickly tugged on the bell.  ‘Sir, you are very ill.  Please stay in the bed.  You collapsed at the Jousting Tournament.’

Yes he remembered the tournament.  He had been in the finals.  He was to face the Swine. 

Did I finish? 

Did I win? 

Maybe that’s why I am here.  Swain defeated me.  Oh well, win some, lose some.

Chadwick searched his body for any injury.  He flexed his arms and legs experimentally and found none.  His head throbbed.  He touched his head - no bandages.  He ran his fingers tentatively over his ribs, nothing seemed to be broken.   He racked his brain trying to remember the last race, but it was all a blur.  Damn it.  He could not stay here all day.  Angrily he got out of  bed and put one foot on the cold floor and tried to get out of the bed, but darkness engulfed him. 

‘Buttons you rang---why is he out of bed?’  Stanton ran and managed to hold onto Chadwick just before he collapsed to the floor.  Together with Button’s help, Chadwick was helped into bed again.

Stanton held smelling salts at Chadwick’s nose.  He stirred, then slowly opened his eyes again to find the groom and Sanford glaring at him. 

What the blazes are they staring at!

‘Baron Sanford,’ Chadwick spoke in a croaky voice.  ‘What on earth happened?’

‘Ah, glad to see you awake Rochester.  The doctor thinks it’s food poisoning.  Pretty bad case of it,’ Stanton smiled sympathetically.   ‘You’ve been knocked out since yesterday afternoon.’

‘Food poisoning?  I was not injured when Swain knocked me down?’

‘Knocked you down?’ Stanton laughed.  ‘No, he never got a chance.  You struck first blood.  You won!’ 

Chadwick winced as Stanton slapped his shoulder.

I won?  What do you know? 

Chadwick allowed himself a self appreciating smile. 

I bet the chit is none too happy about that! 

Chadwick wiped the smile off his face when he saw Sanford glaring at him questioningly.

‘I won,’ Chadwick spoke aloud.   ‘So how the hell did I get food poisoning?  I have not eaten anything that is different from my normal diet.’

‘The doctor was baffled,’ Stanton stated thoughtfully.   ‘For a man your size, it knocked you out cold.  Did anybody offer you anything to eat or drink before your race?’

Chadwick cocked his head, his mind tried to recall if he had consumed any suspicious food or drink, but he came up with nothing.

‘I do not remember having anything at the tournament,’ Chadwick answered thoughtfully.  ‘Anyway, thank you for your hospitality,’ Chadwick threw the covers off again.  ‘I think, I’ll head home,’ Chadwick nodded gratefully at Stanton and attempted to get up, but his knees collapsed and he would have fallen again, if it was not for the speedy action of Stanton and Buttons who quickly rushed forward to stop him falling to the cold floor.