CHAPTER 3

"Not the best." Well we shall see about that. I will soon reverse your opinion Lady Madison.

So has she really kissed other men? She certainly did not kiss like she was inexperienced, yet she looks so untouched.

It had been an agony to stop and had required nerves of steel to disengage himself from the delightful arms of the Lady Madison, but he had, had to, to protect the chit's reputation. Chadwick distractedly tapped on the library cabinet as he stood there and reminisced about the thrilling kiss he had exchanged with Lady Madison. He had not had any business in the library. He was passing by when he had seen the chit inside and had been drawn by her standing there so charmingly, with an index finger on her chin, studying the books on the shelves. He just had to come inside and annoy her. He adored the way she got all flustered in his presence and shifted about nervously whenever he pounced on her though she pretended to be indifferent. She was no different from other women and he knew a lot about women. Whether they were ladies nobly born, commoners or harlots, they all ticked the same way.

I will just have to try a little harder Lady Madison, Chadwick chuckled as he stepped out of the lending library. Before releasing her, he had murmured that his next kiss would be her best, and she had determinedly informed him over her shoulder that there would "not be a next time."
As surely as the sun will shine again, I will be kissing you again Lady Madison.

Madison could not sleep. She had been tossing about on her bed for many hours. She had come up to her bed chamber about four hours ago, but sleep evaded her. She had blown out the candles many hours ago. The room was pitch dark but her eyes had become accustomed to everything in her room in the darkness. She could see the rich velvet curtains that were fully drawn. She looked up and saw the design on the ceiling. Feint light from the moon trickled through a small gap of the curtains. She could see her satin gown draped over the wine red sofa near the window. She did not want to shut her eyes, for when she did, she could picture his face, those mocking eyes. It was not his muscular body pressed against hers that had deprived her of sleep. What disturbed her most was not her very first kiss that can only be described as beautifully erotic. No, it was Chadwick's caressing fingers so gentle around her wrists. It had not been forceful, or restraining. His touch had been so soft, like a butterfly's caress and she had enjoyed his sensual grasp on her flesh. Madison's fingers curled now at the remembrance of his shinny hair like polished jet. When she had slipped her hands through his hair, it had been so soft, her fingers had difficulty holding onto the gleaming mane of hair, and he smelt very good, a combination of sandalwood and his own sweet scent that had a hint of musk. It was almost day break when Madison had drifted off to sleep.

         She was most annoyed and still tired when her chamber maid had pulled the curtains apart to let the sun in, in the hope of getting Madison out of bed with her morning glass of hot chocolate.

'Good morning Lady Madison,' Beth smiled. 'The sun is shining this morning, it is a lovely day.'

'Morning, Beth. Can I sleep another hour please,' Madison pulled the bed cover over her shoulder.

'I am afraid you cannot,' Beth offered sympathetically. 'Baroness Rachael wishes to discuss an invitation with you over breakfast.'

'What could be so urgent?' Madison sighed and slid out of bed. 'Surely mamma has the whole day for us to discuss invitations.'

'You are to attend some event tonight my lady,' Beth helped Madison out of her night shift. 'I have poured out warm water for you to wash your face Lady Madison.'

'Thank you Beth. Can I wear my blue morning dress please? It feels like it is going to be a very hot day today.'

'Certainly, my lady.'