Chapter 25-Part I

They came in droves, a mass influx of people from every walk of life. There were mothers and scientists as well as doctors, lawyers and students. Politicians and military men joined other citizens who were seeking to share their heart and speak their mind in order to protect what was left of a great society. They knew becoming a slave to the mortal enemy knocking at their door wasn't something they wanted to succumb to, so they made the pilgrimage to save Ketty. She was a lonely little girl from Karabellum, but they were bound and determined to make her their champion. Although Ketty was unaware, she had become the object of the people's affection after broadcasting her plight for the entire Galaxy to see. The people put their hope and trust in the one who would save them and restore order.

Pon-shea Sedona was young beyond her means, but the rigors of the Small Council had trained her well for such a time as this. If Ketty's a champion, Pon-shea was a princess. It was her job to bring the power of the public to bear on a situation first hand and in person. She was one girl, but anywhere she went in the Subdivision, ninety one out of a hundred people would drop what they were doing and come to her aid. She had an immeasurable power at her disposal, as long as she was in the people's favor. If that shifted, she was lost.

"The people have spoken," she yelled at her superior and elder, Harbinger Grey. He didn't flinch or bat a bushy grey eyebrows, but his smile was a study in poor oral hygiene.

"Your grace, I know what the polls say, and I know they do not lie, but it seems like social suicide to travel out to a remote system and pledge your allegiance to one little girl who has done nothing more than train a few robots to kill aliens."

She turned on him and stared with a fierce glare that made him shut his foul smelling mouth. "There won't be a society to kill myself for if we don't do something, and I've made up my mind. Besides, Ketty is the only citizen in this forsaken Subdivision that has racked up any kills so far." She paced back and forth across the luxurious carpet, causing the fine blue fabric of her gown to throw up sparks of static as she brooded in her indignant fury. There was a time when her quirky little nose and the pout of her lips would get her what she wanted, but not today. Today she would exercise her power. When she had been elected to the council, there was no war and the entire government hadn't been destroyed. In fact, it had been more of a boost to her ego than any aspiration to represent the popular vote, but now people had died and she had to place her faith in the people. And Ketty was wrongly accused, at least in her own mind, which struck a chord deep in her spirit. It was unacceptable. Common moral decency had to be followed at any cost.

Pon-shea Sedona was the definitive force of the Small Council and the weight of the people made her a powerful person indeed, especially now that Sigon Six and the political hub of authority was gone. The people had lost faith in the government's ability to protect them and Sedona was their unofficial elected leader, with an authority that cut to the hearts of ninety one percent of the people. She could knock on almost any door in the Subdivision and she would be welcome. It was a heady power to be sure, more secure than any elected official before her, at least until the tide of popular opinion shifted.

"You have the overwhelming pleasure of the popular vote, so I can't imagine the wrath of a decimated government can stand in your way," said Grey. She drew close and touched his cheek, sending a tiny bolt of static into his face.

"It's an evolutionary shift driven by the possible demise of humanity. For centuries the people have wanted to be the direct voice of society and I believe this shift in history will be what pushes us over the edge. We will be ruled by popular vote, and government will shrink to the appropriate size dreamed of ten thousand years ago," she said with confidence.

He saw the passion in her eyes, the way she carried herself, the glory that resided below her fine features and clumsy demeanor. He was too old to argue. Besides, time was growing short and he knew they had to depart or the voting process would fall into chaos. "I'm too old for this and you're too foul tempered to change your mind, so let's be off now, or we may never get through the Fault-line."

She turned her back, but the little fist pump was unmistakable as she ordered her bot to deliver the message to the captain of her faithful cruiser.

Back in her state room, she kept her thoughts to herself, lest they make their way to the Blogging Interface and end up out on the network before she realized it. It had happened before, but for some reason it only made her more popular. Still, she had jacked up the sensitivity on the censor algorithms to keep some of her most private thoughts out of the public eye. She threw herself on her bed, unwilling to succumb to the selfish habit of crying while feeling sorry for herself. Being popular didn't mean she had many friends, in fact, everyone she knew was a tech crony or administrative whip, and seventy trillion followers didn't put a dent in the gaping hole in her heart.

Don't forget to vote!

Comments are welcome!