Chapter 3-Part III

She thought about Nano-bots, those tiny micro machines that were smaller than a red blood cell or half as thick as a human hair. They were able to go inside a person's body to repair damaged tissue or remove plaque from a restricted artery. They could also move across the surface of a starship to repair the outer hull, or inside a complex computer to reconnect a broken wire. They were dispatched in large quantities, millions or even more, all programmed with a simple mission to do a specific job. Often, they would die right after they had accomplished their set task, but they were beautiful in their simplicity.

Put to more selfish use, the nano-bots could be laced with drugs and released on a person's arm where they would penetrate the skin and deliver the deadly substance to the blood stream. Ketty shuddered at the thought. She had to keep a level head at all times. Drugs we're definitely not for her.

She realized emotions were stirring inside her, like a stagnant pool, some ugly stuff was coming out and she didn't like it. Dogging on Kato was perpetuating the vicious cycle of peer pressure. He had betrayed her, even though she didn't know him. She would never betray any human unless her life was threatened. But now she was entertaining thoughts of revenge because he had done what? Violated her? Embarrassed her? Been interested in her?

Her whole body grew hot. She remembered how many times she had been vulnerable on the beach in the last four months, how she had maintained her innocence, and he had robbed a little bit of that. Would she ever be able to regain that innocence? She was angry, but revenge was not in her nature. She was here, and she had to confront him, in person.

She caught movement out of the corner of her eye. Turning to the back half of the barn, she saw Kato standing on a platform that had been placed around his father's space yacht. He stood there surrounded by his cronies, like an arrogant jerk. But when they made eye contact, he lifted his head in a barely perceptible nod.

The DJ laced a hard techno track on the table and the room erupted in a dancing frenzy. The lights dimmed to usher in a laser light show unrivaled on this side of the city.

"Come on, we're going up there," said Ketty. Rayleen squealed with delight, mistaking Ketty's attitude for a change of heart. Dragging Rayleen behind her, she made a beeline for the rickety stairs that led to the balcony. On their way up, each of the four flights of stairs leveled out to a platform that led into open cargo doors on the side of the massive ship. Ketty could see it swaying on its gravity repulsive dampers since its weight was nullified by a complex inertial damping system at the heart of the ship. It didn't have landing gear, relying on an infinite gyroscope that was capable of reducing the weight of the ship to that of a feather. Like a blimp, it floated free of gravities selfish restraints.

On the third floor, there was a flood of people inside the plush cabin, just beyond the hatch. She noticed the interior was immaculate, fine carbon on chrome, with recessed lighting and microfiber carpet. Intricate carvings and gilded trim accentuated every square inch, and it was then she realized the wealth backing up the Salazar name was limitless.

"Wow, did you see the inside of the ship?" Ketty said, but Rayleen wasn't impressed. Her mind was elsewhere, dwelling on the social flavor of the party.

Ketty pressed on to the fourth floor, her heart thumping in her chest. She was thankful for her modest clothing, as she scanned the deck for Kato.

She noticed the other kids wore some risky outfits she wouldn't be caught dead in. One had a bright green bikini bottom with spandex tube top. Another girl wore a furry vest cut low in the front, with stockings and a miniskirt cut so short her cheeks were hanging out. Ketty pushed through the knot of girls and ran into a wall of boys. They were all wearing tight shirts or tank tops and a few had no shirt at all. Rayleen reached out and ran her hand across one's chest, rolling her eyes at Ketty.

"Knock it off," she barked, irritated she had to claw her way past their sweaty bodies. Finally, she reached Kato

He stood his ground, legs spread, hands behind his back, wearing a white tee shirt and black slacks which hugged his legs. He was alone, making direct eye contact, and he didn't flinch.

"Why don't you have another drink, Rayleen, while I apologize to Ketty." He motioned to a bot who was efficiently getting everyone partially plastered.

Rayleen was really popular, but her jaw dropped in awe, as if Deity himself had spoken aloud.

"Sure, Kato. Whatever you say."

He grabbed Ketty's hand and pulled her up onto the side of the yacht. His black shoes clicked off the carbon hull as he climbed up to a flat area that was normally exposed to the crushing vacuum of space. He made the ascent look effortless, pulling her up with one hand. Once she had her balance, she pulled free and slapped him hard across the face.

"That's for spying on me." So much for talking. When her foot came down hard on the top of his shoe, he let out a muffled grunt. "Don't ever touch me without my permission either." Kato looked around, but no one was paying attention.

"Sorry," was all he could manage. She glared at him then turned to go. "Wait!" he said. "There's no excuse for what I did... Never mind, I'm an idiot."

"You can say that again." She could barely hear herself think over the avalanche of sound that pounded in her chest. It was painful and her eyes were spinning from the light show. Beyond that her heart fluttered uncontrollably which pissed her off. They used to call this feeling butterflies, but for her it burned of resentment. Was she mad at him or herself for being human? She wondered why Deity created her with these strong emotions. Was it a form of testing to build perseverance or a deeper spiritual refinement that forged character one miserable, heart wrenching step at a time?

He noticed her irritation but it was deeper than that. A hurt below the surface he had caused but until now had never taken responsibility for. Compassion was foreign concept to him, like alien DNA. The realization a young woman like Ketty was sensitive constricted his chest like a heart attack. He caught himself. What was he thinking?

"Come on," he turned to hide the redness on his face. This time he didn't wait, climbing to the top of the yacht and down the other side. Here it was quieter but he stepped onto the scaffold and went over to a door in the side of the wall. He waited outside in the growing light of the dense star pack.

"Look, words won't really help. I'm sorry. I know it will take time to gain your trust back, but you can trust me." He stepped onto a small hover board and waited. Reluctantly she stepped behind him and put one hand around his waist. He had a smell that wasn't cologne, more of a light sweat but not unpleasant. His shoulders were tense and she could see the fine muscle groups through his skin-tight shirt as he worked the throttle and accelerated towards his house. It was a good distance and the cool night air was refreshing.

"This doesn't changeanything," she whispered in his ear. "Whatever you're going to show me betterbe good."

Please remember to vote!

Comments are welcome!