Chapter 18-Part VI

Then they saw Scott, who had remained in his Auto-doc out in the corridor. He was walking well, but protocol kept him bed ridden. One of the guards returned and said, "I sent for the doctor-bot, your friend will be well cared for. The wail of a siren informed them it was coming. Rayleen pushed the glass case aside and held Scott's hand. He sat up and smiled. In that moment she was horrified with his appearance, yet beneath that, something inside her heart stirred. For the first and only time in her life, someone had shown her honor. He had thought of her before himself, no matter how stupid or selfish the act had been. Scott was a fool for loving her, and she was a fool for not.

She bent down and kissed his burnt face, holding his eyes with hers. For a moment or an eternity they stayed that way. Then the doctor-bot pulled him away, sirens blazing down the endless depths of the hall way.

They continued and the few soldiers they did see ignored the band of freedom fighters as they plunged deeper into the belly of the station. Occasionally, Ketty heard a cat call after they passed and the men talking earnestly amongst themselves. She really felt alive, and appreciated the gesture, no matter how crass. Down the corridor, a door slid open to reveal a gentleman in civilian clothes. Ketty noticed the catch in Georgiana's breathing, and her hand hovered over her blaster in response.

"It's ok, I know him," said Georgiana, though she had never seen Colby out of uniform, and she had to admit he wore it well.

He touched her hand for the briefest seconds and said, "We have to go, the commander has another mission and he won't wait." But her thoughts were on the touch, not the fact the captain was a she. It was one of those moments in life, when everything changes and she realized she would have to wait a long time to be with him.

Ketty cleared her throat. "Sergeant Colby?"

"Yes. You must be Ketty."

"Will you give these to my brother, John-mark?" He took her parents wedding rings, then the hall began to shimmer and a man appeared from thin air, hanging upside down and yelling for Georgiana. He reached out and grabbed the two soldiers, one in each arm and they vanished back to the quantum boat without warning.

"Wait for Purline," wailed Boondock, as he rolled around in agony. He was so caught up in Purline getting left behind, he didn't realize his best friend was staying.

Purline, on the other hand, showed no interest in comforting Boondock. "No need to throw a tantrum, it was my destiny to stay with you. We still have a mission to accomplish."

"What mission is that?" asked Ketty. She knelt down to his level and asked, "What mission?"

"I'm afraid it's classified until the right time, Miss Ketty."

"Come on," said Kato, "we need to get going." He waited while Rayleen, Ketty, and Bakes passed by, then he followed with Sizy, Rayjack, Purline, and Boondock in the rear. It had been with some reluctance he left Egor, and Miss-cordoy with Lindy back on the ship, but someone had to stand guard. It wasn't long before they reached an impenetrable blast door thick enough to withstand any attack.

"He stays out here," one of the armed guards said in regards to Harazel.

"Watch him, Sizy," ordered Kato.

"Who died and made you the leader?" sneered Rayleen. But she said it with a twinkle in her eye. He smiled back in mock indifference, unwilling to take the bait. But his mind was elsewhere. He couldn't shake the intimacy of the touch between Georgiana and Sergeant Colby. That was what it was like to be in love, against all odds, without a question, they knew they would be together someday. Did Ketty feel that way about him?

"Kato, let's go," said Rayleen. "Are you daydreaming?"

They entered the control tower of the largest military installation in the Subdivision, and Kato was not disappointed. The echo of his shoes was lost in the distance as they traversed the operational floor covered by a seamless domed structure which afforded a clear view of space. Hundreds of officers huddled over their work stations, keeping up a low hum of activity while they remained oblivious to those around them. A small desk in the middle held the supreme leader of operations, Rear Admiral Barg. Ketty couldn't help notice the small placard which read, "Outpost Iridani 876."

Don't forget to vote!

Please feel free tocomment!