Chapter 17-Part I

What awaited Greer and Aleece was anyone's guess, but it wasn't long before the small ship nuzzled its way into the next station and opened its doors. If they were expecting an armed welcoming committee or some evil presence, they were surely disappointed. It was a mirror image of the place they had left, only it shouldn't exist. Out on the platform, a small sign read welcome to Syborg Station, where the press of a thousand people assaulted their ears and nose. High speed scrubbers were unable to keep up with the sweat of so many bodies scurrying in a mad rush to accomplish their daily tasks, but it was a thriving community by Greer's standards.

"What the heck is going on here?" he asked Aleece. Max jumped into his outstretched arms in order not to get trampled.

"We need to see the spaceport," she said. "If we find out what kind of ships are leaving here, we can figure out how their so prosperous in a closed system." That's why he liked her, she was a quick thinker and it was a damn good idea.

"As long as our credit works here, we should be fine." They made their way up an escalator leading to the industrial side of the fault, then hopped a light tube which brought them out on a mezzanine leading over the unloading section. They were protected by the glass tube which kept out most of the commotion below as well as the crushing vacuum of space that inevitably leaked at the transfer curtain.

"Can I help you?" a voice rang out from behind. It was no use continuing, and soon they would know if they were as conspicuous as they felt.

They turned to a sharp dressed man wearing a double breasted suit with a security hat. His dark skin highlighted a white smile hidden below a thick mustache. "No, my wife and I are just doing a little sightseeing."

"We have a tour shuttle that will get you outside the station and affords a much better view of the new facilities." He held his ground in a non-threatening manner.

"Let's try that dear, it sounds so exciting." Aleece smiled and pecked him on the cheek.

"Very well," said Greer, stroking Max. "If you would be so kind as to show us the direction."

"I can sell you a ticket right here," he pulled a tablet from his oversized pocket. Now was a good a time as any, thought Greer. If he used his credit they could track him, but they had to get on with it, so he swiped his hand held across the screen and remained calm. Max whimpered slightly, then a bell rang.

"You're all set. Keep going to the end of the Mezzanine and use the left escalator down." With that he turned and let them go. "Welcome to Jar-sedan," he called out over his shoulder.

It wasn't long before they were circling free out in space while hundreds of cargo ships dodged and weaved their way clear of the station. Greer didn't have to do any calculations to know commerce was very prosperous, and he was about to say so when Aleece gasped.

"Over there," she pointed. A tour guide bot came over the air as if on cue.

"Below you can see the new automated generation ships that are carrying fully trained robots to the rest of the galaxy. This has allowed our economy to prosper without the Fault-line." The voice droned on but words were lost to the two strangers in a strange land. Below was a star ship as large as any Greer had ever seen, with smaller craft coming in and releasing racks of robots which were guided into the cargo hold. Within minutes the doors shut and the ship turned slowly on its axis. Then, without fanfare, it moved out of the docking zone and passed irresistibly close. There on the side was a small insignia reading Mc'kee Farms.

"Ok, we need to get out of here now," said Aleece.

"We need to go there and see what is going on," countered Greer.

"Greer, I'm scared. What do you think they'll do if we're discovered?"

"Who are they? That is a better question." But his mind was made up. "We still have eight hours and I need answers, not more questions."

By the time the tour was done and they rented a micro light drive ship, darkness had fallen on the planet below. The guidance computer lead them straight to the Mc'kee Farm, where miles of lights and buildings spread across the country side. Beyond that was more housing, industrial complexes, and two entire cities.

"Looks harmless enough," said Greer, but his confidence was only a façade covering the realization he was out of his league.

"How are we going to get in there?" she asked.

"Max is going to guide us." Already blueprints and pass codes had been downloaded. "I told you the security here is lax so we shouldn't have a problem."

"Maybe we should use the front door, or call for backup," but she knew it was too late.

"Were over a year traveling time away from any help and I have to see what's so important about the Mc'kee family." Greer noticed a dark area below and headed down into the unknown.

Don't forget to vote!

Please feel free to comment, and, are you enjoying the story?