Chapter 15-Part II

"Thirty hours and counting, but I'm fine." He popped a couple stimulant pills and smiled. She could see the child behind those twenty two year old eyes, which his hundred and twenty pound frame did nothing to deny. She knew his parents had bred him for analytical thinking and tactical problem solving rather than strength. Thankfully, he was on her side, because when he was serious there was a glint in those eyes, a steel reserve that intimidated with the heart of a killer. Not physically, rather you knew you were out matched intellectually before you began.

"Time to go to work." He hit the disconnect button before she could inquire further, though he would see her in ten minutes.

The city below seemed to cover the entire planet. As far as his eye could see, buildings and structures faded into the distance, lost in the curve of the horizon. It was the most densely populated planet known, with the majority of people underground towards the planet core. He flicked the controls side to side, avoiding a few stray ships that had deviated from their flight path and nosed down towards a giant hole in the ground.

"Yip, yip," Max barked as the ship plunged into darkness. His bot preferred daylight over the drab artificial fusion tubes that lit most of the city, but it was a moot point since he worked underground. He felt Max rubbing against his leg, a sure sign he anticipated going outside, but that wouldn't be until tomorrow.

"You know something's up, huh little buddy?" Lately Max's instincts to anticipate future events had come into sharp focus. "Are you tapping into my personal network? I'll have to check the security protocol on that." But it was more than that. Max looked out for their mutual interests, as well as his safety.

Greer knew the hole he was descending through was fifty miles across and provided the entrance to four departments of the Subdivision's government. Fault-line security was one spoke of a massive wheel that spread out from here across and through the planet's surface but it was sandwiched between the military on one side and The Firm on the other. Bright landing lights reflected off a thousand balconies as he descended to his office level, marked out by a purple guide beacon that brought him straight in. The ship slid into its landing cubicle, hovering an inch off the ground while he sipped a last breath of cool air before delving into the dungeon. Besides a possible alien invasion, and his beloved space train being blown to pieces, one thing had been on his mind.

The Firm. It was a galaxy wide consortium of special interest investors controlling Artificial Intelligence. Human/robot interaction was at the fore-front of all human endeavors. No longer was it necessary to have a computer or social network because a personal bot would efficiently meet all those needs with a unique personality to match its user. Companionship, security, task mitigation, and a social class that defined who you were. The Firm took advantage of genetic perfection and economic prosperity, as well as the innate desire of humans to be unique. And they had a corner on the market which they were unwilling to relinquish under any circumstance.

The door to his office opened with a hiss, where he knew Aleece was waiting. She tried to speak, a slightly confused look on her face.

"Give me a minute to get settled." He patted the velvet pillow on his desk, "Max, hup."

"Grrrr," was the only response, then he turned to see a figure seated in the corner, while his bot began chewing on the man's pant leg.

"Easy there, little fellow." The man tried to pet Max on the head only to be nipped by powerful jaws. "Oww," he said, nursing a bloody finger.

"Heel, Max!" Finally the dog hopped onto his pillow and curled up, but continued to growl quietly. "Sorry, he's never acted like that before."

"I tried to tell you we have a special guest, but you hung up on me." Aleece's red face told him she was caught off guard, something which didn't happen often.

"No need for introductions," Greer put out his hand. "You are Mon-catasto, owner of the Firm. Welcome." The man seemed personable enough from video clips and interviews, while the women around the office said he was charming and charismatic, but he couldn't shake Max's reaction. Was there a subroutine in Max's programming that accounted for the distrust? If there was, it was new to Greer, but he liked it.

"Mr. Portavella, pleased to meet you." The voice was like smooth wine, enticing while leaving you wanting more.

"Greer, Please."

"Very well, Greer. As you may know, I have interests on the planet Karabellum which has recently been overrun by terrorists."

"I think the word you're looking for is brain sucking aliens," he cut in.

"Be that as it may, now that the Fault-line is destroyed, the responsibility for retrieving my assets falls on you," said Mon-catasto. Greer liked this guy less and less with each passing minute. "These are cutting edge, top secret, highly experimental bots which are irreplaceable, so I trust you will proceed with all diligence and caution."

Greer tried to reply, but he didn't know where to start. "I see you have many questions," continued Mon-catasto, "but I've already been in contact with your legal department and your boss whom I'm sure will be happy to verify your primary directive."

"I guess I can find a couple old bots, sure."

"Thank you," Mon-catasto tried to shake his hand, but Greer rejected him. On his way out, he steered clear of Max, who was growling and bowed to Aleece, then kissed her hand. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance my lady. Perhaps we can have dinner sometime?" Then he was gone.

Don't forget to vote!

Please feel free to comment!