Chapter 12 -Part I

When I read a chapter, I always vote on it, then leave a comment if I'm inspired. I think it's because I spent the time to read it. This is just my opinion.

Kato had time to do some soul searching while swimming up the sewer pipe. He tried to forget the vision of his sister being defiled before his eyes, but it was no use. The memory haunted him continuously. It was a part of who he was, molding his thoughts and actions. Rudeness was a byproduct of the hatred he felt inside, yet it complimented his demeanor, keeping him safe from the fact his father's DNA coursed through his veins. He refused to be like him, yet was he any better, stealing Ketty's innocence while she had frolicked on the beach.

"No!" he screamed inside his helmet, even as a circle of light grew above him. He shoved hard, kicking free of the water. He hated to admit it, but he had feelings for her. Her skin was soft but he knew her muscles were firm by the way she held him the other night. And she smelled of lavender and soap, subtle but he couldn't get her out of his head. He loved her spunk, the way she fought back against injustice, and stood up for what she believed.
He wondered what was wrong with him. He seemed to compromise on everything, and Ketty was nothing like that.

Lying on his back he fumbled for the release strap, but it wouldn't budge. A surge of panic welled up inside him. Claustrophobia, a nemesis he battled with often. It was why he slept on the floor with a sheet, steering clear of his suffocating bed. Involuntarily, he imagined his sister pinned beneath the relentless onslaught of their father. His only solace was he had killed him, yet before that, he had been a witness one too many times.

He remembered how his hand fit nicely around his father's neck, keeping precious oxygen from entering the monster's throat. Kato's face had been close, and he felt the fear from his father's eyes. But death wasn't enough, and he brought his knee down hard into the man's groin. The breathless grunt brought a little satisfaction, and he did it again, and again, and again. Back then, fear was mixed with pain, and Kato was able to smile at the last bit of life as it slipped from father's body.

Finally air crashed in and he crawled half way free of the suit, only to find himself face to face with the ugliest creature he had ever seen. It was then he realized everything in his life was a screwed up mess. His only regret was he should have spared his father's life. Then his dad could have lived on the mining colonies of Beersheep, raped by the inmates, and he could be free from the prison of his own narcissistic personality. But he had made a choice, though it seemed wrong, there was no turning back.

The creature stood over him, its sharp beak moving in rapid fashion, driving Kato to his knees under the sonic pressure, but his knife was already in his hand. Instinctively he flexed the muscles in his left arm, causing the knife to fly. The alien let out a short click as green blood showed where its arm had deflected the blade. Its eyes bulged with anger and he could see the soft brain sack swell like a lung as it attacked full force. The skittering of sharp metallic nails on the hard carbon floor was unforgettable as it struggle for traction. Today, fear was not an option. In this moment he knew it was the creature or him, and he had some unfinished business to attend. It was probably good he didn't know his foster parents were dead or revenge would have clouded his thought process. He fell backwards as the razor sharp beak imbedded itself in the suit that still surrounded his waist. He felt claws grip his neck but they held a light pressure, as if his adversary wanted to savor the moment. Too bad for it because his blaster punched a hole through the creature's chest cavity, releasing a foul stench that left him blowing chunks. He pushed free of the ugly bird and tried to stand, but something caught at his ankle.

Don't forget to vote!

Please feel free to comment!