"Obviously, when am I not on my best behavior?"

I snort. Oh boy.

--

The story of Jane and I happened when I moved to middle school, most of my friends from elementary had transferred to wedge wood but since my house was located a little more west, I had to be transferred to brookside. It was the most frightening experience of my life, I was shy not to mention dorky; but then I met Jane. The wild child. She had dark raven colored hair and green eyes, a permanent smirk on her lips, and always seemed adventure. She made me come out of my shell, we were inseparable.. we still are.

"Hey losers I'm home!" I hear Jane enter my house and see my mom greet her with a hug. "My second mom!"

"Hi Jane, there's extra bacon if you want some-"

"Oh hell yes," she runs to the table and I laugh silently, following her close behind. She raises a hand to my father, "sup dad," he lowers his book to look at the two of us.

"Hello Jane, I expect the both of you two young ladies to be on your best behavior for this party, do I make myself clear?"

"Mhm," she mumbles chewing on the bacon, "so when does this whole thing start?"

"In a couple of hours," I answer, I pull her arm and lead us to my room. She whines, wanting to grab more bacon, "we can eat later come on Jane!"

She huffs, I close the door behind us immediately face her, "alright, operation get Colton to like me is under way. I think he might be going to the party." I grin.

Jane squeals, "AH NO WAY HOW DO YOU KNOW?" She stumbles over my bed and I shrug.

"His dad works with my dad I mean if my dad is going to this thing his would be to, right?" I bite my lip and make my way to the closet, "I need to wear something that just will take his breath away, so he can finally notice me." I turn, "it's been years! I mean I'm a junior now, you think that after I told him I liked him in sixth grade he'd get the hint!"

"Honey that was 7 years ago," Jane follows me into my closet.

I push through the hangers and try to find a dress that seems to fit the occasion.

"So," Jane pauses, "is uh, is Alex going to be there?" I smirk as I turn to her. "Oh don't look at me like that!" She rolls her eyes.

"You are so crushing on him it's so adorable!" I turn to grab my phone.

"Am not!" She whines, "I mean he's your cousin, that's like so.. gross." She pauses as she picks with her nail polish, "besides he's a stupid sophomore, just a precious 16 year old boy."

"Yeah and you're 17. So?" I question.

"So, sooner or later I'll be 18 and-"

"That's like 8 months away you drama queen." I click more buttons on my phone until I finally get her attention.

"What are you doing?" She walks over to me.

"Oh nothing," I answer, "just calling Alex." The look on her face is priceless.

"GIVE ME THE PHONE!"