Babies Cry and Big Boys Lie

*Hanna's POV*

Caleb and I stare in awe at our beautiful baby girl.

"I still can't believe that after all we have been through, and all that's happened since the time we found out we were pregnant, we actually did it." Caleb says.

"Me either, but here we are ten months later, holding our beautiful Ashley Taylor Rivers." I say, smiling down at my blonde haired baby girl who's sleeping soundly.

"Ashley Taylor Rivers." Caleb repeats. "I still can't get over how perfect her name is."

Caleb and I continue to stare in awe at each other and at Ashley. I knew this day would come eventually, but I didn't think we would be here today at this time. It's funny how fast a baby can seem like a fantasy, and then the next second magically appear into your life and steal your heart. My thoughts are interrupted as a nurse walks in.

"I'm sorry to break up the family reunion Ms. Marin, but we need to take Ashley to the nursery for a few minutes for a follow up exam." The nurse says, picking up the tiny baby wrapped in a pink blanket.

"Bring her back soon!" I call out. I try not to, but tears fill my eyes. I don't know why I get so emotional when it comes to my baby girl. Caleb gives me a hug.

"It's alright. She'll be back before you know it."

"I know, it's just hard watching them take her away. I can't even imagine how hard it was for Spencer and Toby to give up their boys for two whole days without holding them." I say, suddenly feeling the urge to cry for my friend, and mentally slapping myself for being such an over dramatic baby.

"I know. After all they've been through, it's a miracle that they're still standing quite honestly." Caleb comments.

I scoff. "Yeah, well you know Spencer. She's never one to give up and neither is Toby."

Just then Caleb's phone starts vibrating. He picks it up and looks at it. A painful expression crosses his face when he sees it.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, suddenly concerned. Caleb ignores my question.

"I need to take this." He says, and disappears out the door, leaving me all alone in the hospital room. Since I have nothing else to do, I stare at the clock on the wall, trying not to think too much about Caleb and Ashley. Then all of a sudden, a knock comes from the door.

"Come in." I say, straightening out the bedsheets, although no one cares. The door opens.

"Caleb thank goodness! What took you so long!" I say, not bothering to look up.

"Um, it's us, Han." Emily says flashing a smile. I look up to see all my friends. Emily and Paige, Toby and Spencer each lifting a car seat containing either Troy or Keegan, and Aria balancing Ian and Lucy on her hips, while Ezra carries two empty car seats beside her.

"Hey Guys!" I say, grinning widely.

Aria hands the twins over to Ezra. "Hey Han, how are you?" she asks, coming around to give me a hug. So does Spencer and Emily. It's a little harder for me to hug Emily because of how pregnant she is. I can't believe I looked like that less than two hours ago! Imagine how nice it would be if you could lose actual weight that fast. If that were the case, I wouldn't have suffered the shame of being called "Hefty Hanna."

"Well considering the fact that I just gave birth and almost died in the process, I would say I'm doing pretty well!" I laugh, making light of the heavy situation. My friends join in.

"Where is the little peanut?" Emily asks, looking around eagerly.

"They just took her back." I say, pointing behind me.

"Oh. Where's Caleb?" Spencer asks. I frown.

"He had to take an important phone call." I say. "He seems to be having a lot of those lately." I mutter under my breath.

"Well thank goodness you're both okay." Ezra says sighing. "We were worried sick when we didn't know where you were!"

I pause. "Wait, why?"

My friends exchange worried glances.

"Guys?" I ask again. Toby clears his throat.

"We uh, got a text from A and we thought something terrible had happened to you and Caleb since neither of you showed up to the grill out today."

I'm confused.

"But, Caleb said that he called you guys right away, because he didn't want you guys to worry."

My friends look at each other again.

"Um, he didn't call us until like a half hour ago, after we got the text from A." Paige says, drawing an invisible line in the with her shoe to avoid drawing attention to this, already awkward, situation. All this confusion is making my head spin. I don't have much time to process it all before Caleb returns.

"Oh hey guys!"He says, his face lighting up when he sees everyone. "I'm glad to see everyone got my message."

"Um yeah, about that, Toby said that you didn't call them until a half hour ago." I say crossing my arms. "You told me you called them like two hours ago."

Caleb looks distraught and sighs heavily. "I didn't want to have to tell you this because I wanted it to be a surprise, but that was my dad. I have been talking to him a lot lately and I called him first to say that you had gone into labor and he said that he was going to come and visit us and meet Ashley. I was so relieved and excited about it that I forgot to call our friends. I remembered an hour later and panicked, so I quickly called them while you were in surgery."

"Caleb, that's awesome! I'm so happy for you!" I say, throwing my arms around Caleb, and not even bothered by the fact that he didn't tell me sooner. Caleb smiles.

"Thanks, Han." he says. Just the the nurse comes in with Ashley wrapped in a fresh blanket and surrounded by thick aromas of baby powder. All the attention quickly turns from Caleb and I to Ashley. Everyone crowds around her making little cooing noises and gushing over how sweet she is. Ian, Lucy, Troy, and Keegan all stare wide eyed at Ashley. It's going to be so fun to see the five of them grow up together, and when Emily's little girl comes along, our group will be complete. Well, unless we decide to have a few more kids. The group is always open to more!

*Caleb's POV*

Despite all of the overwhelming joy of becoming a father and having so many visitors throughout the day, I can't help feeling a punch of guilt in the pit of my stomach. I hate lying to Hanna. I absolutely hate it! It kills me every time, because I know how much she trusts me and has faith that I will do the right thing. That's why I'm doing this. I'm doing it to protect Hanna, but if she ever finds out the truth, she'll never forgive me. I'll be out on the streets before I can even get a word out, which is why she can't find out about this. I made a promise to always protect my family, and I need to keep that promise, regardless of the consequences.

____________
Caleb's done it again. What's up with him and all these secrets? Why is he lying to everyone? Any guesses? Comment down below and I promise you will find out soon! -K