This Changes Everything

The next day
*Toby's POV*

I glance at my watch hoping it will pass some time while waiting in the lobby of Radley. Goosebumps stick up on my arms, and I shiver. Radley gives me the creeps, and the fact that Spencer is now a patient here makes it even more creepy. Of course I don't think any less of Spencer because of what she did. It just makes it harder for me to look her in the eyes and tell her how much I love her, because I know she won't believe me, at least for a while.

I lean my head back against the rough wallpaper and close my eyes. I woke up this morning to the sun shining through the windows, the birds chirping outside, and the warm blankets surrounding me, protecting me against the snowy December wind chill. Everything seemed perfect until I rolled over onto my side, and reached my hand across to where Spencer's should be, realizing that she wasn't there.

Suddenly, the sun didn't seem so bright, the chirping became too high pitched and annoying, and the blankets lost their warmth. Nothing is the same without Spencer. Spencer is the reason I got this job. Spencer is the reason I became Toby Cavanaugh, instead of the criminal that no one wanted to be around. Spencer is the reason that I bought this house. She's the reason that I fell in love, and she's the reason I'm about to become a daddy.

I snap back into the present time. A blonde haired nurse dressed in red and white striped scrubs appears in the doorway. The name tag on her blouse reads Jovi. Her smile is soft, but her posture is stiff and uptight. She motions for me to follow her, so I follow her into an elevator. The sliding doors eclose us in the dark elevator. I can hear a far off scream in the distance. The more the elevator climbs up, the louder it becomes. Fear floods through my veins. What the hell am I walking into?

*Spencer's POV*

"Spencer you have a visitor." Nurse Jovi says, poking her head into my room. I look at her with a straight face and force myself to speak.

"W-w-who is it?" I ask, finally able to get the words out. It's been harder for me to talk lately. My throat is swollen and raw and it feels like a million knives are slitting my throat every time I try to say one word. Nurse Jovi smiles.

"Toby Cavanaugh." she says. Anger boils inside of me. How dare he come here! After all he did. He lied to me. He cheated on me. He deceived me, and now he comes here begging for forgiveness? Unbelievable.

"So should I send him in?" Jovi asks. I scowl.

"No. I don't want to see him." I snap, turning my head so she can't see my tears. She respects my wishes and closes my door without another word. As soon as she's gone I burst into tears.

*Toby's POV*

I wait by the front desk and tap my foot anxiously. The big metal doors open and Nurse Jovi approaches. Her face has concern and compassion written all over it.

"Um... Spencer isn't ready for visitors yet." She says closing the doors. "I'm sorry."

My head throbs with anger and confusion.

"Well can't I see her? I'm her boyfriend! ex boyfriend..." I mumble. Nurse Jovi shakes her head. "Of course. I'm sorry. Thank you for your time." I say to Jovi and the other nurses at the front desk, then I turn to leave. I knew it was hopeless to come here, yet a small part of me really believed that she would have come around by now.

The next day
*Spencer's POV*

After a restless, sleepless night, I was not in the mood to do anything the next day. I laid in bed all day, with the exception of eating. I skipped breakfast and only ate half of my lunch. By dinner time I was hungry and ate everything. After that I felt a little better, but only a little.