Chapter Twenty Four- The Knight

Start from the beginning

"Is she worth your life?"

"A million times over."

The man scoffed. "I am sure you can find another just the same..."

"Impossible." Picking up his sword quickly as the man was now removing his guard due to the exchanging of banter, he knocked the dagger from his hand and pulled Evelyn closer to him. The two men looked in shock before glaring.

"Curses!" He spoke before charging at Marth. Evelyn watched as Marth incapacitated both men within a matter of a minute, having them both unconscious with minor wounds upon their bodies. The way he moved to the way he approached the men allowed Evelyn to see his knight skills in full action.

"You are him, aren't ya?" The first wounded thief asked as he held his own arm.

Without a word, Marth pulled Evelyn onto the horse and rode away from the thieves, leaving behind three wounded men who had no clue who they were up against.

When finally reaching the castle, Evelyn looked in amazement. The entire building was decorated with a type of stone appearing smooth to the direct touch. Something she had no seen, since most buildings she knew consisted of cobblestone. Placing her feet on the ground, she saw how servants moved to and from the building through a large gate that was heavily guarded by many guards-all wielding long swords and thick shields. Allowing the horse to finally rest after it's day long journey, Marth took a deep breath before allowing Evelyn to further her steps alongside him. While moving up to the gate, she watched in awe as women dressed in the most lavish clothes and men wearing crowns and medals, moved passed her. When making it to the gate, the men looked to Marth with quizzical looks before looking to one another in shock and allowing him through.

As if he was the king himself, Marth was allowed passage through every gate and every corridor without even being asked a simple question. Evelyn watched with skepticism as the servants whispered as they past and others did not tear their gazes for a moment. Finally making it into the throne room, Evelyn watched as he knelt before the king and was motioned to do the same. Giving a curtsy, she then rose to find a middle aged man wearing a thick silver crown and giving a kind grin to them both.

"Welcome, my son. You have returned, as I prayed you would."

"Your majesty, I return and pledge my allegiance to you, as I have done once before."

The king removed himself from the throne before walking towards him. Marth kissed his rings before being told to rise, in which he did quickly.

"You lost the closest person someone can, and yet you return with fire in your eyes and dedication in your soul."

"Yes, my lord. I desire to pledge my life to continue to supply safety for your people."

"How I missed your allegiance!" The king spoke before pulling Marth's sword from his side and knighting him in front of Evelyn. "I have never held someone as high as you, and I fear it is not a secret to me." Marth chuckled before the king's attention moved to Evelyn.

"Your majesty, this is Evelyn. The owner of my heart."

"I could imagine just by her appearance alone is what captured such a thing."

He smiled wide before Evelyn was examined by the King as he walked a full circle around her. "We can use her help with the children along with the maidens. If you do not object."

"No your majesty." She spoke while giving another curtsy. "We shall speak of strategy, my son." The king spoke as he pulled Marth from the throne room and Evelyn followed behind-watching as all the other knights had watched with great curiosity to Marth. Having dropped the pin from her hair that was given by the children of the river village, she remained slightly distanced from Marth and the king and overheard the servants.

"How he holds such a bold soul to return after his actions."

"To imagine infidelity along with murder-and to be welcomed so freely."

"Many whisper the king was the one behind the assassinations."

"It is a shame he is so handsome."

Evelyn reconnected with Marth before being given a castle tour of each set of rooms from the servants quarters to the library that held over a thousand books on every topic you could possibly conjure. Overhearing Marth and the king speak as she was asked to remain outside the mapping room, she was able to gain more information of her true love.

"Much has grown difficult upon our borders, as well as our coasts. I fear war is looming, the lives lost may be catastrophic. I celebrate the return of my closest ally..." They shared a sentimental clinking of glasses before reemerging on the topic of war.

"I apologize for what you have endured. How is my brother holding down his own castle?"

"Quite well. Although, he was nearly sliced in half by someone unworthy of life itself."

"Perhaps we can allow scouts to allow the world one less bastard, eh?"

Marth chuckled before moving towards the other side of the room, looking at nearby maps.

"Have you heard from Amelia?" He spoke with sadness in his voice.

"She delivered a son." He spoke in truth before changing the subject. "We must not-"

"I apologize for everything you had to endure, as I claimed before. You were such a loyal man and pure soul in this wicked world. If I were given a choice, I would have sent both your brother and his wife to death."

Silence filled the air before the king moved closer to Marth, speaking in a lowered tone. "Perhaps you may withdraw your sword on my land once more, slaying more of those who come against us."

"I would be honored."

Evelyn looked at Marth through the small crack in the door before seeing them both embrace in a firm shake of the hands. "We shall celebrate tonight with dancing and music and enough wine to drown you in!" He smiled wide. "Do not forget your girl, she will create for quite a few broken necks if they see her beside you. It never hurts to place a trophy upon your arm."

Hurt by the words, she turned before bumping into a man reading a book and dropping it upon crashing against her. Fixing his glasses before looking to her, he apologized before looking to her with automatic affection.

"I do not believe I have seen you before."

"Evelyn." She spoke with an extended hand.

"Burton." He said as he gave a quick peck to her hand. Upon withdrawing, his demeanor changed and he was face to face with Marth.

"I see the whispers are valid."

"Indeed. I have returned to claim allegiance-"

"And what of Amelia and your child?"

"The child is not of my blood, you know this above all."

"With your wife's history it is not a surprise the lineage is unknown."

"It is quite extraordinary that after all my time here, my wife is all you remember. Perhaps it is due to the fact you had been rejected by her on several occasions."

"Please, I would never pay for a woman-especially one who gave herself to every man she passed." Moving away from Evelyn and Marth, he turned back before disappearing around a corner. "Perhaps Evelyn will notice how you truly are and realize who is better suited for her." Calling out a sarcastic tone that echoed through the corridors as he escaped sight, his voice rang towards them. "How grand it is to have our black knight returned."