fireworks

It was the last day of school, well we finished school so now I walk with Phil, towards the bonfire. Every year our class holds a small party to celebrate the end of the year, we mostly go for the annual burning of the classwork. It's stupid and adolescent but we're in high school so therefore we are too. As we walk our hands graze, I badly want to intertwine his fingers with mine but I know we can't. Not in front of everyone, they're suspicious of our relationship but they don't need to know.

When we arrive there are groups of kids taking pictures, talking and drinking. It's mostly weak alcohol, hard lemonade, watered down beer, the familiar smell of marijuana fills the air as well. It's a typical high school party if you can even call it that. Everyone is there, even the kids who are deemed uncool. Everyone gets and invite to the end of the year bonfire, it's tradition. Next year is senior year and everyone is slowly growing the narcissism that comes with being a senior like moss to a tree.

The fire seems too big for the small ditch dug into the ground, it's flames licking up above my head. Kids throw plastic into the heart of the fire to make it turn blue and green, they sit on blankets and lawn chairs laughing about memories they shared their junior year.

"Hey, you guys came!" Yells Fred, a kid who is universally liked in the grade, he talks to everyone and always has a smile on his face. Today the smiles seems to be coated in liquor as his tight grin loosens.

Phil smiles back at him, his teeth glowing in the night, "Yeah, of course, everyone comes." I flex my hand as the presence of his fingers moves away from mine, he tends to talk with his hands. Fred claps him on the shoulder, a little too hard, causing Phil to stumble back. I steady him naturally, my fingers softly digging into his back. I keep my hand there a second too long and Fred notices. Running my fingers down his side as I drop my hand I see Fred's eyes following my every move, "It's really nice of your parents to host it this year." Phil changes the topic we were all thinking about but, of course, nobody says anything.

Fred forgets about all about my lingering hand and for once I'm thankful for underage drinking, his drunk mind is unable to stay on one subject for too long, "Yeah, they were so happy to do it!" He shouts, too loud for a regular conversation. The music is soft and there is no need to shout over it.

"I'm glad." Phil gives another friendly smile, "When do we bring out our papers? I'm excited to finally burn all my AP Bio notes." I'm grateful for his small talk abilities, I'm not one to participate in casual conversations. I'm weird and I come across weird.

Fred has to think for a moment, "After the fireworks." He giggles and looks behind him as he notices our surprised faces, "Yeah, Ben brought some fireworks, his aunt knows a guy who can get those professional ones."

"Is that safe?" I blurt, and Fred laughs.

"Probably not." He shakes his head, of course, they aren't safe. This is a lawn full of high schoolers, is anything safe? I probably wouldn't be able to trust the chip bowl, assuming that there's some prank attached.

A curly haired kid calls Fred over, through squinting eyes I can see that it's Ben, he's holding a bag of what I assume is the fireworks, "thanks for coming tonight guys," Fred smiles one last time and runs over to his friend. 

Phil looks at me and laughs at the bizarreness of the situation we're in.  I follow suit and I watch his eyes crinkle up, the sound of his laugh fill my lungs with air.  My heart swells a bit in my chest at the sound of it, "let's go find a spot to sit."  He beckons me forward as he walks past the bonfire.  I admire the way his hips sway for a moment as I walk behind him, his pale arm peaking out as his zip up falls down his side.

I catch up so we're walking side by side once again, "I hope nobody gets hurt."  I mumble.

"Me too, how stupid are they?"  Phil laughs under his breath.  We reach the side of the house where some decorative trees hide the view of the bonfire, a wall of bricks allows us a place to sit.  I hoist myself atop of it and grab Phil's arm helping him up.  He lets his hand stay on my thigh.  He runs his fingers gently over my leg making me get the shivers, I know we've been dating for a while and I should be used to his delicate touches by now but I'm not. Every time he touches me my heart still flutters and I grow stiff with nervousness and excitement.  I place my hand on his and lean into his shoulder. 

We hear a shout and then a small boom, someone lit a firework.  Looking up we watch as a firework explodes lighting up the dark English sky.  It's blue and sprinkles down, the color and light trailing off.  Everyone cheers at the spectacle.  We're literally finishing the school year with a bang, a dangerous, beautiful, reckless bang.

I look over at Phil and smile as he watches the sky intensely as more of it is covered with dancing light.  We're so close the colors of the fireworks reflect on his face, his cheekbones shine a bright red and his eyes reflect the show.  His lips are parted a bit with awe, he's a sucker for good looking things. He's always tugging at my sleeve telling me to look at the sunset or the way a tree bends.  I wish I could admire nature the way he does.  Instead I'm fascinated with him, his smell, the way I can feel his lips on mine even after we part ways.  I love him so deeply and purely I can't imagine anyone else has felt this way.  If they did then why don't we talk about it more?

The way the fireworks burst correspond with my feelings.  I can feel the vibrations of the explosions in my chest, just like when we kiss.  The explosion of the colors reminds me of that twisty turning feeling I get in my stomach when I think of him.  The recklessness of the show is the way we only share our love in secret.  

"Did you see that one?"  Phil smiles and looks back at me, "I didn't know that they could make them so big."  His face is close to mine and I can feel his breath on my face when he exhales, it trickles down my neck and greets my spine. 

"I'm not really watching them."  I know it's cliche and that it's ooey gooey romantic high school love but I'd much rather watch him than the fireworks.  His eyes light up brighter than any of them could.

Phil looks down for a moment, his eyelashes brushing against his flushed cheeks.  His hair starts to fall from its resting place on his eyebrow to in front of his eye.  I take my hand that's not occupied on my leg and brush it back, "You look so beautiful right now."  I whisper.

He looks up, his blue eyes smiling, with a shy smile Phil blushes, "Stop it."

"I'm being serious, I love you so much."  I reassure him, placing my hand on the side of his head so that my thumb rubs against his cheek, "You've come into my life and made it great, without you I don't know where I'd be.  You've helped me grow and change and I am forever grateful for you, even if you can't see it."

He leans in and kisses me.  It's soft, his lips part slightly as I inch closer.  Bringing up my other hand I hold his neck.  I tilt my head slightly as he pushes closer, I can feel his hair against my forehead and his hand tightens on my thigh.  Behind us the fireworks continue, just like they do between us.  

AN: Eh, this is kinda cliche and stuff but yay, first one done.  In case you didn't see my message I'm uploading a chapter every day in June (it could be a oneshot, Downfall chapter or another book who knows)  But I'm calling it cedij (Like youtubers call uploading once a day vedif or vedim -Video every day in Feb or May or whatever-)

I'm almost done with school (4 more days) and I'm drowning in assignments but here you go, a mediocre oneshot.  (they'll get better, i promise, i just need to get back in the groove of things) 

So expect 29 more uploads from me this month, :) also, are you all in summer? If so do you have any plans? I'd love to know and have a lil chat with everyone. 

Okay, bye