Home

Dan stood on the hot summer pavement, his feet burning. Curling his toes slightly he watched Phil make his way forward. The sun caught his eyes so all he could see was the blinding streaks of white. Holding up his arm squinting through the brightness he finally caught Phil.

His loose white t shirt hung off his body like art. It was stupid for Dan to think so hard into the details of his ripped jeans. How he cuffed the edges exposing his socks that followed his off white tennis-shoes. His eyes were squinted partly as he was also trying to avoid the harsh light.

His hands hung at his side clenched into fists as they flexed in and out of a hard grasp, "What?" He murmured showing his crooked teeth.

"I miss you." Dan whispered in response cowering away at the older boys reaction.

"Come on, just jump!" Phil called from the ground. Dan was perched in a tree that they both had been in only a matter of seconds ago. Now Phil stood at the bottom after a daring leap.

"I don't want to!" Dan said trying to hide his terror. He wanted to look cool in front of his friend. Not like some scaredy cat who can't handle a two meter jump.

"Just jump. I want to go to the beach!" Phil said a bit of annoyance in his voice.

"F-fine." Dan said hoping his voice didn't sound as wavered from the ground. Phil's scrunched nose said otherwise, unfortunately.

Summoning up all the courage Dan could handle he told himself 'it's fine, Phil did it, so can you.' 'It's fine, Phil did it, so can you.' Closing his eyes he glided himself forward and pushed off of the rough tree branch. He felt the world drop from under him. It was over fast as his feet hit the ground with alarming force.

"See, there was no reason to be afraid." Phil's comforting voice floated from above Dan. Yes, above, Dan had embarrassingly fallen on his butt.

Opening his eyes Dan looked up to see Phil smiling down at him. His teeth, uneven and crooked, shining. The freckles that dotted his skin seemed to entrance Dan for a moment as he imagined they were the stars that hung in the sky. Merely constellations that fell from the milky way and landed on his friends shoulders.

"I wasn't afraid!" Dan said standing up dusting off his shorts.

"I doubt that, Dan." Phil giggled.

"Oh shush, you." Dan puffed up his chest to try and impress the boy.

"Come on, let's go." Phil said and stood up, he grabbed Dans wrist and pulled him. They ran through the thinly wooded forest and out onto the beach. It was nearly empty besides a few local families.

Phil was Dans best friend. They had met earlier this summer and grown a liking to each other.  Phil was a whole year older than Dan, with him only being eleven. Phil knew so much about the world that Dan couldn't help but listen to every single word and worship his every sentence.

He taught Dan how to climb trees, do a front flip off of the dock and how to beat the last gym leader on Pokemon D.S. Of course none of that mattered to what Phil showed him. Dan thought he knew his town. Turns out that he only scratched the surface. Now he knows the best trees to climb, where the ferrel cats have their kittens in the summer and where the murder house is. He even showed Dan some music. After listening to one song of Muse Dan demanded his dad to get him an album. Dan got to see Phil's music collection once. It was littered with bands he never heard of. Phil says they were his moms before she died. Whenever his mom was mention Phil would make Dan leave. Even though he never saw or heard it, Dan knew Phil cried.