Chapter Thirteen- The Sweetest Of Hearts

Start from the beginning

"I am sure he does not hold a single bad thought of you..."

"I am taken with such a level of sadness I have never encountered within my soul."

"Why is that?"

"He told me of his wife. How he was banished from beside the king."

"He told you of that?"

Evelyn nodded but watched as Joseph's expression turned to content to pensive. Gathering the goal of the moment back in his sight, Joseph then requested her first job;

"There will be a handful of men joining our house tonight. One of them in particular is Jasper Wilmington. He is the younger one of them all, and the grandson of a great fortune...but he is suspected of being...in like with his own kind."

She glared with confusion.

"Queer, dear."

"Oh..." She nodded with understanding.

"He is currently holding a reputation for bedding women and paying them to say so."

"What is it I must do?"

"Bat a few lashes, charm him...and discover if he truly is after his own kind...if not, then end the night with a swift kiss upon the cheek-and do not give into his offers of you. I am sure he will offer you anything from money to a castle if he could."

"I will do whatever you ask of me." She spoke with a glimmer in her eye. One that told him that she understood her place, and was grateful that she had one at all.

"Your dressings are in your room and they shall arrive directly after dinner. I ask that you are present before they do so, if not, you must make them stare upon seeing you...keep their interests at high peak."

Nodding to him, she was then excused before lingering at the door.

"May I question something of your character, Joseph?"

"You dare be so bold?"

"I am a curious woman and would not wish to assume without fact."

"Then by all means, ask."

"You were with that man when I first saw you. I understand why you must be secretive with him...but...you have a family...you have a beautiful family..."

"And you wonder why I look elsewhere?"

She nodded.

"Do you ever pick fruit from trees?"

"Of course."

"Do you notice how sometimes you pick the most delicious piece of fruit that makes you feel warm from the nutrients and you close your eyes to endure it all?" She nodded. "But when the flavor is gone, you reach for another-expecting the same sweetness, but finding this one sour. My wife is the example of that. She holds a kind heart, but her pride comes before all else. She threatened to cut me to pieces if I ever embarrassed her or tainted our reputation."

"I am sorry for asking."

"It is calming to speak of it. I feel as though you are my inner thoughts that I can actually speak aloud....if you can understand."

"I do. You are the only one who knows my secret as well...."

"And I will keep it until my last breath, I promise that."

"As will I." She said as she turned and made her way into her room before shutting the door. Leaning over her bed, she used her fingers to quickly dispose of her corset before a voice cleared behind her. Turning quickly, she found a young woman to be standing in the attire of a maiden.