Chapter Thirty-Two

It was almost eight o'clock at night and my parents weren't home yet. They said they were going to go out for a date night straight after work and weren't planning to be home until eleven. Figures. Luke made us a homemade pizza for dinner and it sat half eaten on the coffee table in front of us. I was sitting in the arm chair on the family laptop working on a final paper I would be emailing my teacher soon while Luke sat on the couch reading a devotional by some motivational speaker he liked. Luke did mention that this speaker will be live on a television network at eight and that he wanted me to watch it with him. I tried to convince him not to let me see it but he's basically forced me because I can't be let out of sight and my room is not the best place to hide out right now. The police basically trashed it. They took all my books, my journals, and my computer. There's literally just a bed and desk in there right now.

Luke looked up from his book to look at the cable box clock. "It's almost time." He put a book mark in the devotional and grabbed the remote from the coffee table. "You are going to love this guy. I promise," He said and turned on the cable box before turning on the TV.

I shrugged and continued writing my paper. "I doubt it."

He looked over at me. "I'm guessing you can take a break from writing that paper for half an hour. Please, I want you to watch this."

I sighed and closed the laptop, placing it on the coffee table and leaned back into the chair, putting my legs on the chair and got comfortable. Luke turned on the channel and right away we see the speaker Luke has been talking about walk out onto a stage.

"This guy is absolutely my favorite motivational speaker," Luke said before laying down on the couch.

I focused on the TV, trying to focus on what the guy was saying. I wasn't really paying attention until he said something that really caught my attention.

"At some point in our lives, we are going to have questions," The speaker said. "We are going to question our faith at one point or another. It mostly occurs with young teens. When the world seems like a strange place and nothing is going as planned. They start to question if there is a God. Some come to accept that their God is real while some of them leave their beliefs behind and become unreligious. It's tough being a Christian. You get judged and looked at differently by the people who left Christianity. But, the strongest thing anyone could ever do is come to know God as a friend. They may still question him at times but those who still believe and continue to believe are the strongest people you will ever come to know."

I looked over at Luke and saw that he was completely observed in the speaker's speech. I reached over and grabbed the laptop. I opened it and went onto a new tab on the internet and started researching this guy. He apparently has written only two books but has gone on tours and has done hundreds of speeches across the country and has even spoken before sold out concerts. I found a list of his quotes and they all had to do with being a Christian and showing kindness. His speeches are aimed at young adults and teens who need reassurance of their faith. I grabbed a notepad off the coffee table along with a stray pen and started taking down notes along with some very great quotes from this guy. This guy is really opening my eyes to religion and understanding that my troubles currently were only temporary. I may have made a mistake but I can overcome my mistakes and learn from that. Life is temporary. We only get one so we might as well make the best of it. I think I finally realized what I want to do with my life.