Chapter Fourteen

I dreaded coming home that day. I knew I was in for a lecture from my parents and I didn't need to deal with that right now. It got worse when I pulled up to my house just to see my mom and dad's cars parked in the driveway, indicating that they both came home from work earlier than expected. I knew as soon as I parked my car that they were waiting on the other side of the front door, ready to yell at me for what Matt and I did.

I just wanted to stay in my car, forget about what happened and not worry about the troubles it will cause. The shooting is my only way out. That's all I could think about. I just wanted it all to be over but in the mean time I have to deal with the punishments I will get from my parents for all I've done in the past.

My mind kept racing to all the trouble I've gotten into over the years. I wondered if my parents would react the same as they did then or if they will be angrier. This was my first time breaking the law and I knew that the troubles I will get into would be far worse than the troubles I've gotten into throughout the past four years. I knew I was going to get into even more trouble than the time I set off a pipe bomb in the garage freshman year and started a small fire. We were able to set it out right away but the amount of trouble I got into that day was a great deal.

After a while, I decided to finally step out of my car and head to the house. My hands fiddling with my keys the whole way. My knees shook in worry. A neighbor who was heading to their car saw me and asked if I was okay. I lied and said I was fine. He looked like he didn't buy it but he must've been in a hurry to not ask any further questions.

My hands shook as I put my key in the key lock. Only finding out later the door was unlocked. I opened the door steadily, trying not to make a sound. Maybe my parents were in another room and I could sneak upstairs.

As soon as I stepped foot into the house and closed the door behind me, I instantly saw my parents standing in the entry way looking at me with crossed arms and tapping feet. This is a look I was used to seeing. I've been given the scowl so many times throughout my high school years.

"We got a call from your principle today," My mom said before I could even open my mouth to greet them like I usually would if they came home early. "You snuck out of the house and vandalized the school?"

I shook my head. "They are overexaggerating. I only vandalized a door."

My dad gave me a hard stare, making me slightly uncomfortable. "Small or not, you still destructed private property. People are going to be talking and we already have a bad reputation with that school because of you."

I gave them a sarcastic laugh in annoyance. "Well, sorry if I'm the family embarrassment." I walked around them to head up the stairs. My foot not even on the first step when they stopped me.

"You're grounded," Mom said annoyed. "Until you finish your services."

I laughed sarcastically. "Like I care." I turned to walk up the stairs when my dad spoke up.

"What is up with this attitude you've been having lately?" He asked. "You better not act like this when your brother comes home."

I sarcastically laughed again. "Whatever." I turned and headed up the stairs, ignoring my parents calls to me.

A couple months ago, I would be furious if my parents grounded me. Now, I could care less. It's not like it will affect my life for much longer. If only they knew.

I entered my room and tossed my backpack near my desk like I always do. My desk is currently crowded with notebooks and scrap paper. All of them involved the massacre. Some scrap papers were articles I printed out of past school shootings. My room has been a complete mess recently. I guess knowing that you're going to die in a couple months does that to a person.