Chapter Twenty-One

I sat at my desk in my last period class, watching the clock. It was almost the start of spring break. I desperately wanted to get out of this school and go home. Maybe get in some target practice before my brother arrives at around five. I barely focused on whatever the teacher was saying as my eyes focused tightly on the moving hands of the clock.

I sighed in relief when the bell rang and quickly gathered up my things. I just wanted to go home, grab a gun, and go to the fields to shoot.

"Don't forget that your poems are due as soon as we get back," My teacher called out to us as the class fled the room.

I rushed out of the classroom and sped walked down the hall. I was in desperate need of this break and I wasn't going to waste a second.

"Why in such a hurry?" I heard Justin say from beside me. I ignored him and walked out the doors of the school. I took my keys out of my pocket as I headed towards my car. I spotted Matt waiting for me at his car which was parked next to mine.

"Let's get out of here," I said as I unlocked my car door and got inside.

"Do you want me to follow you to your place?" He asked me before I could shut my door.

I nodded. "Yeah, we'll go to my house and prepare to go to the fields."

He nodded back and rounded his car and got inside.

***

Matt and I pulled our cars into the driveway and stepped out at the same time. "Let's go inside, pack up some things, and get out of here," I said as we walked towards the house.

"When's Luke get home?" Matt asked.

I grabbed a hold of my house key and started unlocking the front door. "He said he'll be here at five. We have a little over two hours."

I opened the door and Matt shut it behind us. "Which guns are we using today?"

"The usual. The ones we have been using are the ones we're mostly going to use during the massacre." We began jogging up the stairs. No matter how many times my mom tells me not to run up the stairs, I will never listen.

I pulled out my bedroom door key when I stopped in front of my room. I unlocked the door and opened it. Matt following me in and I shut the door behind the both of us. Matt stood near the door as I bent down beside my bed and pulled out the duffel I put the guns in.

"Pass me the box on my desk," I told Matt. He did as told and grabbed the box off my desk and handed it to me. It was my box of spare bullets. I took it from him and placed it on my bed beside the bag.

"You need any help?" Matt asked.

I nodded as I pulled my gun case out from under my bed. "Yeah, can you get the shot gun from my closet?" He replied with a nod and walked over to the closet. "Can you also grab the AK-47?"

He opened my closet and took both guns off a high shelf and brought them over and placed them on the bed. "You sure you can fit all of those in one bag?"

I nodded and easily slipped each gun into the bag along with the box of bullets and zipped it up. "I've done this hundreds of times before." I lifted up the bag and flung the strap over my shoulder. "Well, I think we're ready."

"That was fast."

I fixed my hat on my head so it was front ways and shading my eyes. "Just got to know where everything is." I opened the door and allowed him out before I followed him and shut the door behind us. "You want to stay for dinner tonight?"