Chapter Twenty-Two

Easter Sunday finally came around. This will be the last ever holiday I will have with my family. They'll no longer celebrate my birthday or watch me unwrap my presents on Christmas morning. They won't be able to watch me grow up.

My mom stood at the front door with Luke beside her as my dad was in the bathroom fixing his tie. I just sat on the couch, flipping through the channels. Like every holiday, I was not going to go to church. I haven't even celebrated Easter since freshman year.

"Colin," I heard my mom call out to me in a harsh tone. "Why aren't you dressed?"

I turned my head to look at her. "Remember, I don't do church?" I turned back to the television and started flipping through the channels again. My mom stomped over and snatched the remote out of my hand. I turned to her. "Hey!"

She pointed the remote at me. "I am sick of this non-religious phase you're going through. You are coming with us to church and that is final."

I sighed. "It's not a phase, mom."

"You were raised a Christian and you will stay a Christian. Now, go get dressed and make sure you look presentable."

I turned to Luke for support. "Luke, help me out here."

He placed his hands in his suit pants pockets and shrugged. "I actually have to agree with mom on this one."

Dad walked out of the bathroom, straightening out his tie. "What's go on here?" He looked at me. "Colin, why aren't you ready?"

Mom crossed her arms. "He's trying to get out of going."

Dad shook his head. "Colin, go get ready right now."

I groaned. "But, I don't do church."

Dad scowled at me. "Get ready right now."

I sighed and stood up. "Fine."

"And hurry up. We want to beat the rush. Put on a dress shirt and a nice pair of pants. No hat." She gave me the run down as I headed towards the stairs and started walking up to my room. "And don't you dare make us late!"

"Whatever," I said and stomped up the stairs.

***

The church was just starting to get crowded when we walked in. It felt weird being back for a mass since I haven't gone to one in years. Mom pointed out an empty pew in the middle of the church and motioned us to go to it.

When we sat down, I sat crossed armed and observed the scene around me. That's when I saw Mikayla and her family sitting in the pew beside us. I quickly turned away before she could notice me and focused up front.

My mom hit my shoulder, telling me to stand up when the mass started and the priest was walking down the aisle as the music played. I had no idea what to do. The priest greeted everyone with a happy Easter introduction once the music stopped and he was standing in front of all of us.

The mass took forever. Probably because it was Easter, I guess it would run longer then. But, I couldn't focus. My eyes kept drifting over to Mikayla. I kept turning away because her younger brother, who I know is a freshman this year, kept eyeing me every once in a while. Mikayla has a big family. Four years of high school and four yearbooks proved how big her family actually was. Mikayla has an older sister and an older brother with two younger sisters and two younger brothers. I would hate to have that many siblings. I can barely handle Luke, none-the-less six other siblings.

At one point when my eyes drifted to the side again, I saw the brother whose been staring at me gently poke Mikayla's shoulder. She looked at him and he motioned his head in my direction. When she turned and saw me, she gave me a small wave before turning back and focusing on whatever the priest was saying. I'm pretty sure her brother didn't like me because I know he's seen me around the halls and probably didn't like the expression and image I had at school.