Chapter Twenty-Six

I don't know why but I found myself going to the youth group one Sunday. About two weeks before the massacre. The group has already started by the time I got there. Tim was up in front of everyone, singing and playing his guitar. Everyone was sitting, swaying to the music. I didn't sit with everyone. I stood in the back and just watched. I didn't feel like these people would welcome me.

I was lost in thought when I heard footsteps coming towards me. "Colin Cortes?" I turned my head to see Brian Reese. My parents know his parents and we've gone to school together since elementary school. "Didn't expect to see you here again."

I crossed my arms and leaned against the wall. "I just need to talk to Tim."

He looked at the group and then back at me. "You want to come sit with me and a few friends?"

I shook my head. "They won't like me."

"How would you know? They don't even know you."

I sighed. "They'll hate me. Just watch."

"How would you know if you don't try?" He motioned his head at the group. "Come on." I followed him to the seats. He sat down beside some friends and I sat beside him. Brian whispered to his friends and introduced me to them. To my surprise, they greeted me with great enthusiasm and smiles.

We all just sat and listened to the music. I was waiting for it to end so I could talk with Tim.

"Let's talk about sin and forgiveness," Tim said once he finished his song. "God forgives those who have sinned if they are looking for forgiveness. We should learn to forgive and pray for those who need God's forgiveness. I want you to talk to the people around you and discuss forgiveness and sin." Everyone started talking, except me. I stood up and made my way over to Tim. "Hey, Colin," Tim greeted me. "I'm glad you came."

I nodded. "May I talk to you for a minute?"

Tim nodded back and led me to his office. "What do you want to talk about?" He said as he closed the door behind us. He paused for a moment and stared at my face. "What happened?" He has noticed the bruise Justin left on my cheek.

"Just some problems with bullies. But, it's taken care of."

"You sure?"

I nodded. "I'm sure."

"So, what was it you wanted to talk about?"

I sighed and took a seat in front of his desk. He sat in the seat beside me. "I feel that this place has more hope than my school. I've been having some trouble at school. As you could probably tell," I said and pointed at my cheek. Tim just nodded and continued listening. "I just don't think I'll make it to the end of the year."

He nodded. "I see. How much longer is you school year?"

"Towards the end of May."

He nodded. "What's that? Like three, four weeks?" I nodded. "It may seem like time is moving slowly now but it will all be worth it at the end. All these problems you have faced in high school won't even matter anymore in a month."

I shook my head. "I don't think I will make it."

He leaned forward. "Trust me. You'll make it. You've got your whole future ahead of you. The decisions you make in high school or the reputation you have been given won't matter in a year. You can always better yourself and make your whole life worthwhile."

I nodded. "I guess."

He leaned back into his seat. "By the way, I saw you talking to Brian."

I rubbed the back of my neck. "Our parents know each other and we go to school together."