Chapter Thirty-One

I've been in the diversion program for a week. I don't like it. I feel silently judged by everyone especially knowing that they probably heard about the massacre fail. Some of the guys and even girls in the program just terrified me. Matt and I would sit next to each other in the group circle and mostly stay quiet the whole time. I already have an essay they want us to write for the following week. I was not looking forward to that.

Matt's dad is always waiting in front of the building when we get out. Everyone else always get to go home straight afterwards but I always end up having to wait longer than everyone else. Luke is the one who picks me up but he's always late for some reason. I didn't bother to ask him why.

Matt and I said goodbye to one another once we got out. I was left alone once he left and the parking lot was pretty much empty. I leaned against the brick wall of the building and pulled a cigarette out of my pocket, along with my lighter. I took a drag once it was lit and looked down the parking lot to see if I could spot my brother's car. You could hear a pin drop by how quiet it was now.

I looked to my side when I heard a car driving in my direction. I was hoping it was Luke's car but it wasn't. I took a long drag of my cigarette as I watched the car pull into a parking spot that was directly across from me. My eyes widened when I saw Mikayla step out of the drivers' side door. She smiled at me when she got out. I should've known that was her car. I've seen it enough times. She looked slightly different today. She had her hair up, which she never does. She was wearing sunglasses and was wearing jean shorts and a tank top. What would I have expected? It was liked eighty-five degrees out. She almost looked older than eighteen.

I watched as she walked over to me, jumping onto the curb I was standing on. "Hey," She said with a smile and put her sunglasses on the top of her head.

"Hey," I said quietly.

"I just wanted to check and see how the program is going."

I shrugged. "It's okay."

She nodded. "Is it scary?"

"Terrifying."

She laughed. "Well, I'm sorry to hear that." She paused for a moment. "I wanted to tell you that Justin and a couple of his friends are not allowed to play in the final game. Principle Young doesn't want to expel them since school is so close to being over."

I nodded and smoked my cigarette. "That's good to know."

"Are you going to be coming back to school? We're attending Jefferson High until they fix the damage at Kingston."

I shook my head. "They aren't allowing me back. They're going to have me come in during the weekend to do finals and they'll mail my diploma." 

"That stinks." She gave me a smile. "Hold on a moment. I got you something." I watched as she walked back to her car and grabbed something from the backseat. I couldn't see what she grabbed because as soon as she grabbed it she put it behind her back.

"Is it another mix tape?" I asked with a grin.

She shook her head. "Nope. It's something better." She pulled what was behind her back and handed it to me. It was a bible.

"Seriously?"

She nodded. "Open it."

I did as told and saw things written on the back of the cover. "'Property of Colin Christian Cortes,'" I read quietly out loud. "'Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sins. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgement. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall me whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have broken rejoice. Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. Create to me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Psalms 51: 1-10.'" My eyes grew wide. "Wow, that was a lot."

"I thought you needed it."

I nodded. "Thank you."

She came over and gave me a hug and I found myself returning the gesture. It only lasted a couple seconds when we heard a car horn honk. We separated and I saw that Luke has finally arrived.

"That's my ride," I said and pointed a thumb at Luke's car.

Mikayla nodded. "Okay. Then I guess I'll see you around."

"Yeah. See you around." I gave her a wave goodbye and walked over to Luke's car, putting out my cigarette before entering. He hates it when I smoke.

"Was that Mikayla?" Luke asked with a whistle once I got into the car.

I nodded and put on my seat belt, avoiding eye contact with him. "Yeah."

"What'd you talk about?"

I shrugged. "Just stuff."

He grinned and I saw him notice the bible on my lap. "What's that?" Before I could say anything Luke grabbed it from me and started looking through it. "A bible?" He chuckled. "This is so cool. Are you converting back or something?"

I snatched the book back from him. "It's just some thing Mikayla thought I would like."

He nodded. "I see. I really like that verse she wrote on the back of the cover and she underlined some pretty good verses too."

"What?" I said and started flipping through the book. And, like he said, there were pages and pages of verses underlined in different colored pens and even annotations.

"What? You didn't notice that?"

I shook my head and closed the book. "No, I didn't."

He pulled the gear into drive. "I'll make us some dinner for tonight. What do you want?"

"Anything is fine."