Chapter 13: To Jail or Not To Jail

Start from the beginning

"You know why I'm here, Mitchell."

"I failed to prevent that guy from escaping, didn't I?"

"You did, but that's not what I'm talking about."

"Oh?"

"You and I are a lot alike."

"We are?"

"Yes. And normally, I would trust a person like that with my life. However, the things you share in common with me make you a threat. And I can't have threats working under my nose."

"What are you saying?"

"You are a very good team member. Your ideals are also ones to strive for. But, you seek that which I seek. Power."

"I would never seek to take power from you!"

"You say that now, but who's to say what would happen if the chance to take power was right in front of you?"

"Sir, please, I just want to be the best gang member I can be."

"Yes, and that is the problem. Your potential is high enough that your attitude towards your profession may lead you to one day decide to overthrow me. I can't let you do that."

The two of them continued to argue further into the night, before finally, Hedges had his fill of talking, and slipped a pill in between Mitchell's teeth.

"Now, if you can, bite down. If you don't, then you'll leave me with no other choice than to force you."

Mitchell complied with the request and died within minutes.

The next day, Milangelo and Cameron headed out to meet up with James, getting a considerable head start on Crock and the women. The three of them decided not to rush to catch up, and maybe explore the town for a bit.

They walked until they reached the town square, where they found a statue of Efelgart Bridge. They were quite surprised.

"Lonny's dad..." said Patricia.

At the same time, Crock thought, Efelgart, it was an honour to know you. Your death was not in vain. Then he heard that Pat had said something. "What was that?"

"Oh, it was nothing," answered Karnilla. "Remember the oath, Patricia. Gentleladies never tell."

"Are you talking about the Gentleman's Club?" asked Crock.

"Shit," Karnilla whispered. "He's onto us!"

A man tapped Crock on the shoulder. "Excuse me, I'm looking for the court house, could you give me directions?"

Crock turned around and was about to answer the man's question, when the man said, "You! You're alive!"

"Oh, yeah, who am I?" Crock asked sarcastically.

"You're Crock Turnbull, that veteran that died fulfilling his duty. If you're still alive, that complicates things. I'll have to tell my superiors, for starters..." said the man.

"You'll do no such thing. Now, go to the court house."

"I will do no such thing. I will go to the court house."

Patricia and Karnilla could hardly believe their eyes. "What the fuck was that?" asked Karnilla.

"The simpler the mind, the easier it is to influence."

"You can do mind tricks, old man? You gotta teach me how to do that stuff," said Patricia.

"It takes a lot of discipline, and for certain I'm a little out of practice, but for people who follow the flow of the current, their minds are easily suggestible. Regardless, you can't make a person do something. There has to be a part of their brain open to the idea."