twentythree

"So I have a little bit of news for you" Griffin informed me as he focused on the road ahead of him. We had decided to take a spontaneous road trip to Pennsylvania. Why? God knows why, but when Griffin made the suggestion I was quick to oblige.

A distraction in the form of an adventure in a city I'd never been to was just what I needed right now. We were only thirty minutes into the two hour drive and up until now Griff had nonstop been talking about his family weekends away to Pittsburgh when he was a kid.

He had the fondest memories of summer evenings at his grandparent's house, brunches at their favorite local cafe where he'd have waffles and syrup. Trust me, I'd heard it all.

"And that would be?" I asked, expecting him to bombard me with some more childhood memories. He bit his lip and turned to me, "I got into The University of Pennsylvania" He said and I swear he let out a high pitch squeal.

"What the hell, that's great" I replied excitedly "Congrats Griff, I knew you could do it" I leaned over the centre console and wrapped my arms around his torso, trying not to distracting him to much from the road.

"We'll only be three and a half hours apart" He explained and my heart sank a little. I'd applied to Yale around the same time Griffin had applied to Penn, but was yet to receive an acceptance letter in the mail.

With every day that passed, I lost a little more hope. "I haven't got a letter yet..." I trailed off, looking down at my hands as I picked at some dry skin on my palm.

"What?!" He looked over at me in disbelief. "I don't want to talk about it. Just pray for me, okay?"

"If they don't take you I'm smuggling you into Penn with me." He joked and I chuckled. The thought of being separated from Griffin for college killed me; he'd been by my side for years. It was safe to say I have no idea what I'd do without him.

"Is that the reason for our impromptu trip to Pennsylvania?" I questioned him, everything beginning to make sense. "Maybe..." He trailed off.

"I just wanted to get a feel for the area again before I move here, you know" He explained and I simply nodded.

-

I trailed behind Griffin as he lead us a packed bar, supposedly he had heard it was a popular spot amongst the college kids on a Saturday night. Mainly because they didn't card anyone.

My sweaty palms clung nervously to the back of Griff's shirt as we made our way to the bar to order a drink. I was barely eighteen and still years away from being legal to drink and I felt like everyone could tell.

The few drinks I'd been pressured into drinking before we left to take off the edge were yet to take effect and I was confident we were going to get kicked out.

"Two vodka and lemonades" he spoke confidently as he handed over a bill to the bartender, the woman in her late twenties nodded before moving on to pouring our drinks. Griffin turned to me, raising his eyebrows and I smiled nervously in return.

"You need to relax Elsie" He leant down to say into my ear, the bar was loud enough that I could barely make out what he said.

College kids sat around high tables, chatting amongst their groups. A few girls were on the dance floor, dancing to the songs the cover band to my right sang. I took it all in, finding myself wondering if this is what college would do to me.

Would I find myself at a local bar or house party on a Saturday night in dresses that barely covered my arse, begging for the attention of drunken college guys who wouldn't even remember my name the next day?

"Drink up" Griffin spoke as he passed me a glass and motioned for me to take a sip. I wrapped my lips around the straw and let the cold bubbly drink fill my mouth, almost spitting my drink out as the burn of the alcohol hit the back of my throat.

"It's a double shot, you need it" He laughed as we made our way to two free seats.

As the night went on and Griffin and I found ourselves interacting more with the people around us, I felt myself relax.

My body felt like a weight had been lifted off me as I sung along to the song blasting through the speaker, moving around in my seat as the urge to dance grew stronger and stronger. I glanced at Griffin out of the side of my eye, a giant smile on his lips as he watched me.

He disappeared, returning moments later with two new drinks and two shot glasses filled with a clear liquid. Vodka. I shook my head at him, visioning myself attempting to take the shot but instead of swallowing I'd end up spitting it all over myself.

"Live a little" He coached me, picking up his own glass and motioning for me to do the same. Hesitantly I picked up the shot class in my right hand, my vodka and lemonade in my left ready to be a chaser.

He raised the glass to his lips "Three, two one" Before I could process it I tipped the glass up, fighting the urge to gag as I swallowed the burning liquid. The moment my mouth was empty I took a gulp of my other drink to wash away the burn.

I mentally pat myself on the back, my hazy mind proud of my newest achievement. "I feel goooooood" I slurred, the shot taking its effect on me fast. My previous drinks were catching up with me as well.

"I've gotta pee" I leaned over to Griffin and yelled over the music, he nodded as I jumped down off the bar stool, trying to keep my balance as my feet hit the ground.

I set off through the bar alone in the direction of the restrooms, excusing myself as I squeezed through groups of people who were probably not that much older than me. Finally I reached the ladies toilets and pushed through the door with relief.

A queue of girls lined the sink, all waiting to use the rest room as well. I dug into my clutch searching for my phone in hopes of distracting myself for how busting I was to go to the toilet while I waited.

I had a message from my mother, telling me to be safe. A message from my father telling me to reply to my mother's message so they knew I was safe and lastly a message from a put out of place Martha, wondering where her invite to our adventure was.

I wandered through my messages, coming across Harry's. I clicked the screen, bringing up his contact info. Before I could register what my drunk brain was doing I hit call and bought the phone to my ear.

When he didn't answer it felt like the phone rang forever before it reached his message bank. "You've reached Harry Styles, I'm unavailable right now but leave your name and number and I'll get back to you" how generic.

"Hi Harry Styles, Elsie Rose Carter here. You know what, it's been a freaking week and you still haven't called me. I thought I was your princess" I huffed, frustrated that he had let my call go to message bank.

"That's a real dick move. I know you've got her, but I thought you wanted me. Why'd you do all those things only to run back to Mrs. Perfect? What about me?" I took a deep breath before continuing.

"You're my daddy you prick"

--

Elsie couldn't resist Harry, but can you blame her?

Don't forget to comment and vote babes :)

-K x