fifteen

The big day had finally arrived. Martha had been at my house since 9am, whereas Griffin could keep his chill and made an appearance at a more reasonable time.

Martha had invited her older brother's girlfriend, Sophie to do our hair and makeup as she was currently training to be a makeup artist. She needed the practice and I was just thankful I didn't have to attempt my makeup myself.

Griffin sat clad in his dark blue fitted suit, a sparkly blush tie around his neck. He had put up a fight but Martha and I had insisted he incorporate his outfit with ours and this is as close as we could get.

Martha's dress had her shining bright like a diamond, whereas my dress was more subtle. It was a low cut blush coloured dress, which I found to be incredibly beautiful but Martha had made it no secret she found it 'boring'.

As the three of us made our way down the stairs, Griffin stood between us; our arms linked with his, my parents were stood at the bottom of the stairs with camera in hand.

"My goodness, look at you three" My mother gushed; I swear I saw a tear roll down her cheek. Me, right now in this dress with my hair and makeup done was all my mother had ever wished for.

All she ever wanted was a daughter to get her nails done with, a daughter to dress up in pretty pink dresses. A daughter to be a clone of her.

I knew although she loved me dearly, she had always been disappointed that I was more of a tomboy that showed zero interest in boys. If only she knew.

"Girls, you look stunning. Griffin is one lucky guy tonight" My father spoke, patting Griffin on the back as we stood around in the foyer. He thanked him with red cheeks. Poor Griffin was the easiest person to embarrass, I swear.

"Quick, stand together on the stairs. I'll be damned if I miss out on this perfect photo opportunity of my baby." My mother bossed around, forcing mine and Martha's arms back around Griffins as we stood on the staircase.

After my mother's fair share of direction Martha spoke up, letting her know we'd better get going before we were too late. "Thank you for having us Mrs. Carter" Griffin spoke politely as we made our way to the front door.

My mother rolled her eyes, insisting that he call her Vivienne. She had been reminding him for years that there was no reason to call her Mrs. Carter yet despite the fact that she had known him since he was the shy kid missing his two front teeth, he refused to be impolite.

"Home by eleven" My father yelled after us as we descended down steps towards the limo parked at the curb.

-

"So how do you feel Prom Queen?" I asked Martha as she sat in the limo flaunting a crown that was equally as glitzy as her gown. "Like a fucking boss!" she yelled. Of course little rebellious Martha had snuck a flask of vodka in with her.

The result was Griff and I stuck with a slightly drunk M on the way to an after party.

"Can you believe I was Prom Queen and Matty Reynolds was Prom King?" she slurred with complete disbelief. Matty Reynolds was the quarterback, so I really found it no surprise that he was crowned Prom King.

A drunk Martha however couldn't seem to fathom it. Thankfully we had managed to get her out of there before she made everyone regret voting for her.

As the drunken mess sat in the limo rambling on about complete nonsense, Griffin leaned over to me "Do you think it's a good idea for us to take her" he motioned to Martha who was barely sitting upright anymore "to a party filled with alcohol?"