seventeen

I walked into school the following Monday still on a high from the weekend. Ending my weekend with Harry had completely overridden my thoughts about what happened at the prom after party.

I had woken the morning post prom to a stream of daylight shining on my face through a gap in the curtains, it took me a moment to realise I was in what I presumed to be Harry's guest bedroom.

It was decorated neutrally with a few pops of colour in the form of flowers. No doubt the work of the young Mrs. Styles.

Harry was found in the kitchen cooking a lazy bacon and eggs. He reminded me that he had let my parents know that I was with him and they would be by to pick me up during the mid morning.

As I made my way down the school hallway towards my locker where I knew Griffin and Martha would be waiting for me I couldn't help but feel like everyone's eyes were on me. People whispering to their friends as I walked by.

"What happened to you the other night?" Griffin asked as I unlocked my locker. "What happened to you?" I retorted, referring to the fact he left me to go to the toilet and never came back. "I'm sorry Elsie." He replied.

"I had to go" I added, deciding not to bring up the fact I'd gone home with Harry in front of Martha.

"I heard you and Brett Muller had a good night..." Martha joined the conversation, raising her eyebrows. My heart jumped into my throat "Where did you hear that?"

She blew a bubble with her gum as she watched my reaction, "The man himself, it's all anyone has been talking about this morning." She explained carelessly "Apparently there are even some photos?"

It felt like my throat was closing up as she spoke. My mind raced with the possibility of the rumours combined with photos. "Nothing happened" I replied and Martha shrugged her shoulders before walking off to class. Her strange behaviour this morning putting me ever further on edge.

"Have you seen or heard anything?" I questioned Griffin who stood against his now closed locker, a look of sympathy apparent on his face. I gave him a moment to reply, but he continued to stand there silently. "You have, haven't you?"

He looked down at his hands before his eyes looked up to meet mine again, he almost looked as though he felt guilty as he nodded his head. He dug into his pocket, pulling out his iPhone. I watched as his finger roamed the screen, clicking on the facebook app.

"It's on Facebook?!" I yelled in horror, a couple of girls passed by as I did so, giving me a dirty look before giggling amongst themselves as they continued on their way to class.

Griffin pulled up the post which had apparently made its way to the schools 'hot or not' page. Someone had managed to snap a picture of Brett and I on the patio, right as he had leaned into me with his hand on my backside.

The photo was accompanied by an equally disgusting caption, 'Elsie Carter, so hot. Quiet girls are always freaks in the sheets, had me going more than once. 10/10."

I felt my eyes well up as I read over the caption once again, surely I wasn't seeing this correctly.

"Nothing happened Griffin." I pleaded as he watched me calmly. "He tried to come onto me, but I freaked it and left the part." I explained and he nodded, pulling me into his chest. "You believe me don't you?" I asked, pulling back to look into his eyes.

"Of course I do Elsie. I know you; I don't think you would have chosen prom night to get out of virgin city. Especially not with that jackass." Griffin mused, a couple of students walked by, making crude comments.

Griff took my hand in his and lead me down the hallway; I kept my head down and let him guide me. Embarrassed that it took two minutes for someone to capture a moment that could help create a rumour that in result could ruin me.

"Whoa Elsie, it didn't take you long to find your next target" His voice sent chills down my spine as he stopped Griffin and I in our tracks. I looked up slowly to be met with none other than Brett Muller, his posse stood behind him smirking.

"Cutting class to get it on?" The guy to his right interjected "You won't regret it man, phenomenal time she is." Brett added and I had to hold back a gag. I'd gone from being completely upset to ragging within seconds of looking at his smug face.

"Go fuck yourself Brett; do you even know what anything other than your hand feels like?" Griffin spoke up, taking me back. He wasn't usually the type to get involved in drama, let alone insult someone.

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder, guiding me around the group of immature boys laughing at their leader. "Let's get out of here; you don't need any more shit for the day." He spoke as he opened the door and took us out into the fresh morning.

"Thanks Griff, for that" I mumbled, feeling more blessed than ever to have him in my life.

--

Can we just take a moment to appreciate Sign of the Times?! It's so bittersweet, I'm so proud and happy for Harry, but so sad One Direction is becoming non-existent :(

Sign of the Times just seems so Harry though, I love it.

- K x