twentytwo

"W-what?" I felt myself choke on nothing but air as his words registered in my brain. "I think you know what I'm talking about" he accused.

I thought back to that day with Griffin, feeling my cheeks redden with embarrassment at the sexual encounter. Yet I couldn't seem to connect the dots to understand how Harry knew.

"Just hit decline next time, Elsie Rose" Harry said, his tense body throwing off an intimidating aura. I remembered a call from Harry coming through and I remembered hitting decline. Damn iPhones.

I fumbled around trying to find the right words to say to ensure Harry wouldn't be mad at me. The last thing I wanted was him to be unhappy with me.

It wasn't like I was in the wrong in this situation. He was married to someone else, old enough to be my father and we were yet to have a 'what are we' conversation anyway. While I knew Harry viewed me as his, I wasn't his.

"It didn't mean anything Harry" I spoke nervously and he chuckled, leaving me confused. "So, who is your boyfriend?" He leaned against my new car and crossed his arms. I suddenly felt conscious of the fact we were still out in the street.

The last thing we needed was one of the neighbours spying Harry and I out on the street, I had no idea how this conversation was going to end but I knew either way it wasn't something we wanted getting back to my parents.

"Uh, can we maybe take this inside?" I mumbled moving towards the stairs that lead to my front door, Harry followed behind me silently agreeing.

I lead him into the casual sitting room, or as normal people called it, the lounge room. He sat on the sofa opposite me, sitting on the edge of the seat and motioning for me to go ahead with my explanation.

"It was just a friend" I explained. He placed his hands in his lap "I didn't take you as the kind of girl who spends her time getting her friends off" I felt offended by his choice of words and his accusation.

Hearing an older man refer to me as a girl as opposed to a woman made my heart sink, knowing he looked at me as an inexperienced young girl was the exact opposite of how I wanted him to see me. I wanted him to see me as this grown, confident and sexy woman.

Not a scared little girl who had only seen what her parents had shown her.

"I... I was practicing." I started, feeling as though I was just digging myself into a deeper hole. "For you. I wanted to know what I was doing so I could make you feel good." Harry's expression was only becoming more and more agitated as I went on.

"So you decided to suck your friend off..." He didn't believe me, I could tell. "It was that kid that was here when I stopped by that time wasn't it?" I nodded my head sheepishly, chewing my lip.

I knew where this was going. Griffin and I had always been faced with people assuming we were an item. People would always be so quick to tell us that our friendship would never work and that one of us would surely end up falling for the other.

But it was never like that. Griff and I were incredibly open with each other, always vowing to be honest if feels were ever to arise. They never did, it was almost as if we really were just destined to be best friends.

"I knew he had a thing for you, it was completely obvious" He stated and I almost had the urge to laugh out loud at this thirty something year old man being so oblivious and naive. "It really wasn't like that"

"Besides, I'm free to see and do who ever I please. I'm young and single" I added with a smirk. The colour washed from his face

"You're mine" He growled moving closer to me, I bit my lip "You're a married man, I'm nothing but your dirty little secret" I retorted, I felt more confident in this moment than I had in my entire life despite the angry expression plastered on Harry's face.

He didn't respond as quickly as I thought he would. Harry was the type of man to have a response to anything within seconds; he was a very quick thinker. My statement had clearly left him speechless.

When he didn't have a comeback I made the decision that it was time for him to leave. This was enough for us today. I didn't want him to leave, I think deep down I wanted him to tell me I was the one he wanted to be with.

That he'd leave his wife and we could be together. That we could run away to the south of France and live without the judgement I knew we'd receive from those around us who saw nothing but a ridiculous age gap.

But he didn't say anything; instead he simply nodded and got up silently making his way to the front door. I followed behind him still waiting for him to say something, anything.

As he turned the door knob his actions had done nothing except prove I was just a toy to him. A young, pure toy made for his destruction.

"Thank you for the gift, I appreciate it Mr. Styles" I managed to choke out while holding my tears back. He gave me a force smile and nodded politely before turning and making his way down the stairs to the side walk.

Without a single glance back at me he got into his car and drove off while I stood at the door still desperately waiting for the validation I wanted to much.

I knew I deserved better, I knew I shouldn't have let myself get so invested In a man who would never be capable of making me his first priority. It wasn't until now, that I stood in the foyer of my parent's house that I realised how deep I had let myself fall in.

My heart ached as I thought of Harry going home to be with the woman he wanted to be with, while I stood here forcing myself to not cry over him.

--

Can't believe it's already been over 20 chapters. I hope you're all enjoying so far :)

I've got two other one direction fanfics on my profile, Ruby and Forbidden if you're interested. I'd love it if you'd read them.

Don't forget to comment and vote!

-Kx