eighteen

I chewed on my cream cheese and tomato bagel, content with the silence between Griffin and I although I knew questions I didn't want to be discussed would be asked soon enough.

In the grand scheme of things I knew that this little hiccup in the road really wouldn't matter once school was over, heck I'm sure after break everyone will have forgotten about this and move onto slut shaming another poor girl.

I hated that, I hated that a girl couldn't do anything without being ridiculed, I hated that bullshit rumours circulated the school faster than you could blink an eye. I'd always tried for steer clear of the crap that accompanied being a teenager in high school, and for the most part I succeeded.

I didn't date my fellow classmates, I stuck within my small friend group and I avoided parties and get-togethers at all costs. I'd been patiently waiting to be done with the high school portion of my life without any drama.

So close, I'd come so close.

"Sooooo..." Griffin trailed off, startling me out of my daze "are we going to talk about the elephant in the room?" I shrugged my shoulders, "what elephant? I thought we established that nothing happened between Brett and I?"

After spending approximately ten minutes at school Griffin had kindly escorted me out taking me home to his house. I wasn't usually someone to skip a day of school, I valued my education. But today it just felt necessary.

Griff's parents both worked the nine-to-five so his house was empty, ready for us to lay low all day.

"No, you left me hanging at the party; I literally had no idea where you went. You could've been murdered for all I knew." I apologised to him, once I was in the safety of Harry's car that night I had completely forgotten to even send Griffin a text to let him know I'd gone home.

"My mind was clearly occupied; Brett almost had his way with me. I had to get out of there..." I trailed off, even the thought of the jock made me want to vomit. "It's okay Elsie, I shouldn't have left you alone for so long."

"How did you get home anyway?" He questioned, sipping his coffee as his attention moved to me. "I, ah, called Harry" I watched his expression change and I couldn't stop myself from feeling embarrassed.

"Married, thirty-something Harry?" I bit my lip and nodded telling him I didn't know who else to call to my rescue. "You know I support you Elsie" He started taking my hand in his.

"But I just don't want you to get hurt. He is married and taking advantage of your innocence."

I'd never really thought of it that way. I knew Harry was much older, in his mid to late thirties whereas I was only seventeen.

He had years of life experience on me. He was well travelled and had now chosen to settle down and marry.

Deep down I think a part of me knew I was nothing more than a fling, a toy for him. He was old enough to know how to keep his emotions in check, whereas I was young and naive and risked the chance of falling fast and hard.

"It's not like that Griff, his dad's best friend" I lied; I knew it was exactly like he was saying. "He has done more than just kiss you hasn't he?" I bit my lip again, fidgeting with the hem of the skirt.

"I trust him Griffin. It's not like he has forced me into anything." I defended and Griff just looked at me with a sense of defeat. "It's illegal, you know that don't you?" I nod.

"While I do not support this, not even in the slightest, I'll always be here for you Elsie. Anything you need, you can always come to me." He explained "Heck if he hurts you, I'll hurt him myself" I laughed at the thought of Griffin being even the slightest bit violent.

"I'm a big girl Griff; I can take care of myself." I wrapped my arm around his torso and cuddled into my best friend. "But thank you, for being there for me now and for every day for at least the last ten years." I was so appreciative of this guy.

I pulled back from him, an idea suddenly making an appearance in my mind. "Griff?" I asked looking over to him. He responded with a yep, before waiting for me to continue on. "There is one thing you can help me with."

"Anything"

--

I finished watching 13 Reasons Why like a week ago and I'm still so shook. Like what? That's not an ending...

-K x