Chapter 11: Banquet

Start from the beginning

[Verren] "now then. I am sure that by now you have all had a chance to taste what has been placed before you. And I ask, what are your thoughts?"
[???] "it's great!"
[Verren] "does everyone else share the opinion of Valentina?"
[Everyone] "yes!"

After the strong willed, raven haired battle master gave a hearty reply and broke the ice, everyone replied cheerfully about the surprisingly delicious liquid.

[Verren] "now then, there is another thing I would like to show you all."

Hm? Father pulled a vial of blood from his inner coat pocket and held it high for everyone to see. I wonder what it could be...

[Verren] "now, does everyone here know of the countless beneficial effects that humanities "potions" have?"

Everyone nodded their head in unison. Wait.. it can't be. Can it?

[Verren] "what I have here in my hand, is a small amount of a vampire specific potion that was recently created and proven to work perfectly."

A few oohs and ahs could be heard from fathers captivated audience.

[Verren] "would anyone like to come up and test the effects?"

Everyone in the audience immediately shut their mouths and gave a worried expression until a certain, raven haired woman got to her feet.

[Valentina] "I'll give it shot!"
[Verren] "very well then, please, come up here."

Valentina walked quickly to fathers side, seemingly eager to taste the supposed potion.

[Valentina] "so what are the effects?"
[Verren] "good question. An increase in defensive capabilities, though, the appearance does go through a few... changes, but this much will only last for five minutes so do not worry!"
[Valentina] "oh, well, bottoms up I guess!"

Valentina drank the entire vial in an instant and for a moment, nothing happened, before parts of her body began to... bleed?

Both of her arms from the elbow down, the sides of her neck and face, her shins and her hands all began turned a deep red colour before hardening into a reddish black, scale like armoured skin. This is astonishing. It's as if Valentina suddenly revealed that she was part dragon!

[Verren] "how do you feel?"
[Valentina] "fine, even after all this I don't feel strange at all."
[Verren] "well then, care to try out how effective it is?"
[Valentina] "sure."

Father readied a fist and Valentina held herself in a blocking guard with both of her scaly arms crossed in front of her face. Father, are you really going to do this? Please go easy...

Father charged towards Valentina and his fist connected with her arms as a loud, blunt sound resounded throughout the room and Valentina was sent back into the wall behind her, cracking it in the process. Though, to everyone's surprise, she got up and dusted herself off like nothing happened.

[Valentina] "wow, I didn't feel a thing.."
[Verren] "good isn't it!"

The blank, disbelieving stares changed to ones of excitement before cheering for the show before them.

[Verren] "now then, there is one more thing i would like to show you all."

More!?

[Verren] "or, rather, someone I would like to introduce to you."

Eh? A person that father is excitedly talking about hasn't happened since he took Seyird as his thrall. Since royal vampires can not give their blood for fear of... they can not create thralls of their own so they choose someone who has earned both their trust and has proven themselves to be an obvious asset. Is it possible that father has decided to take a second thrall? But who would be worthy for something like that?

[Verren] "this person is still quite young, however, he was indispensable in gaining proof of Lors misdeeds and his capture itself. He is also the one that found a way to alter the taste of blood as well as creating the potion you have just seen."

Wha-, such high achievements...

[Verren] "Seyird, bring out the guest of honour!"

Walking in through the door and towards my father was Seyird, leading none other than-

[Lucile] "Kai!?"

I quickly covered my mouth before sitting down as fast as I could in embarrassment. I quickly glanced over towards the now very well dressed Kai and our eyes met. He smiled towards me and I felt my heart skip a beat. Why did it do that?

[Verren] "right, well, care to introduce yourself?"
[Kai] "of course. It is nice to finally meet all of you. My name is Kai. As you have all just heard, I am the creator of the potion you have just seen. As of this moment I have created eleven others with differing effects that should hopefully allow a boost to your already impressive power. The taste of your drinks is something I concocted as well, based upon the alcohol of my previous residence. While weak, it does have the same effects as regular alcohol on humans in which I mean, if you drink too much, you will indeed get drunk."
[Valentina] "here here!"
[Kai] "I see one of you has already discovered that fact so I will cut off my introductions here and just say, enjoy the rest of the banquet!"
[Valentina] "whoooo!!"

The crowd was in utter silence as they all stared at the young looking vampire who could not be any older than myself that seems to have done so much.

[Verren] "now that introductions are over, I would like to announce that, due to the accomplishments of this young man, I will be making him my second thrall, my left hand man so to speak."

The entire room burst into heated discussion and I couldn't help but be caught off guard at my fathers words as well. After all, Seyird became his only thrall 1200 years ago.

[Verren] "now everyone, enjoy the rest of the night!"

At fathers words, everyone left their thoughts of Kai behind and began to drink happily once more. I am unsure whether this is because of everyone's respect for my father or if it is because of his unusually strong power.

[Kai] "Hello again Lucile."

Kai's voice as he sat in the chair beside me pulled me from my thoughts.

[Lucile] "e-eh? Oh, hello Kai."
[Verren] "so Kai is the friend you were talking about? I see, so you met during the investigation of Lors?"
[Kai] "yes, unfortunately since I was new to the area I didn't know where his office was and wound up asking Lucile for directions."
[Verren] "you are already on a first name basis?"
[Lucile] "father I-!"
[Verren] "relax Lucile, it's fine. Besides, if you've become friends then I am happy."
[Lucile] "ah-... thank you father!"

I hugged father tightly before remembering where we were and stopped embarrassedly though anyone who saw it simply chuckled with a smile on their face. That is, everyone except for Kai. He actually seemed to look away at that moment. I wonder why, perhaps I will have to ask him at some point, maybe if we become closer.