Quarantine

A group of people in yellow quarantine suits barged into the school.

They cleared out a classroom and started setting up little bubble rooms to keep the sick in.

Scott went to go talk to Ms. Martin about what's going on while the rest of us stayed in the classroom.

"Bet they're thinking smallpox." Stiles said while looking at the kids crowding the window.

"Not likely. Smallpox was eradicated worldwide in 1979. We've only managed to completely eradicate two viruses in history. The other was rinderpest. It killed cows." Mr. Simon cut into our conversation.

"So we should be comforted by that, right?" Stiles asked.

"Unless it's something worse." Mr. Simon said nonchalantly.

I started hearing the sounds of people talking on the cop radios.

"Whatever it is, they're taking it pretty seriously. They're a lot of cars and trucks out there." Malia said, trying to get a better look over the kids.

"We're doing the best we can." I heard Stiles's dad say.

"Your dad's with them." I said making Stiles look at me.

"Hey, I should probably call him." He got up, searching through the phones for his.

"Don't bother. They would have shut off any access to all outside communication by now. No cell service, no WiFi. No one starting a panic. Looks like we're all just going to have to wait here and see what happens." Mr. Simon said as he read the newspaper.

This guy is a real pain in the ass.

~

Malia, Kira, and I waited in line for the quarantine people to take our blood.

I rocked back and forth on my heels, kinda out of it.

"Nikki? You good?" Malia asked but I didn't answer.

It was like I couldn't focus.

"Nicolette Ibrido." The woman called my name.

I walked up to her holding out my arm.

"You feeling all right, Nicolette?" She asked as she cleaned my arm.

I just nodded in response.

"I don't like needles either. I promise, it'll be fast." The woman smiled at me.

She went to stick the needle in my arm when a lightning bolt traveled through the needle shocking her.

She dropped the syringe as it sizzled on the ground.

"Nikki, let's go." Malia said but I didn't move.

I watched as all the quarantine people took the woman outside.

"Nikki, come on." Malia grabbed me, pulling me away.

What the hell just happened?

~

We met up with Scott and Stiles in the boys locker room.

Scott's eyes were glowing red.

He would try to get them to stop but it would only work for a while.