Thirty six

*the next day*

Everest's POV

I woke up feeling like the biggest mess ever. I cried more tears than I thought water was even in me. I feel dizzy, most likely from dehydration, and my eyes still sting.

I woke up to the sound of Butterscotch at my bed side, with her head resting on the mattress, she was wagging her tail trying to get my attention. I looked at the time and knew she was hungry.

I dragged myself out of bed and into the kitchen, I got out her bowl and filled it with food and water before getting out some juice for myself... I don't have an appetite right now and I'm only doing this to take away my headache.

I went back to my bedroom and walking past my mirror made me realise how much of a mess I really look like. My hair is everywhere since it hasn't been brushed, my face is red and puffy, I'm still in the sweatpants I wore yesterday and dear God I need to shower. But I can't seem to find the motivation to do anything.

I checked my phone and realised I had two texts from jack.

Hey could I come over to get Luke's stuff and check up on Butterscotch?

Okay, Your not replying, I'm coming over.

I realised the first was from almost an hour ago. I'm usually up early so jack definitely realised something was wrong if I hadn't replied.

I cleared up my apartment and put my hair up, before I had a chance to change I heard the doorbell.

Butterscotch seemed so exited she had already started running to the door. I opened it and she jumped at the site of jack and instantly got even happier... see, this is how I know he takes good care of her.

"Hey darling!" Jack said, giving Butterscotch her much wanted attention.

He looked up at me and his expression softened when he saw the state of me. He opened up his arms and gave me a hug, I couldn't even cry my eyes were that dry.

Jack closed the door and kept hugging me.

"Hey, it's okay, I'm always going to be your big brother and if you need anything at all you tell me okay? Don't be sad bud, we've got you." He said before pulling away.

I nodded, playing with my bottom lip that wouldn't stop quivering.

"Is um-" I started before realising my voice was so coarse I could barely speak, I cleared my throat and tried to continue, "is he doing okay?" I asked, by he I meant Luke, but I don't want to say his name right now.

Jack pursed together his lips, "not the best." He said, "but Everest don't feel bad about that, the realisation hit him the same way it his you, I spoke to him and I think it's best for both of you right now."

Jack's right, me and Luke both need to do what's right for us at this point in time. I just wish I didn't love him as much as I do, because now the only way I can make sure I don't fall back to him is by keeping my distance.

"I need to get going, make sure you eat okay? Liz is back at our old house if you need her and don't hesitate to come around." He said, "I know it seems awkward right now Everest but seriously, you've always been considered family and we really hope you don't let that go."

"I'll stop by in a few days." I said with a light smile.

A smile appeared on jacks face, "thank you." He said, "also, would you like me to take back Butterscotch? So you don't get in trouble with the landlord."