Seven

I manage to sleep for about two hours last night. I woke up at six and went to go shower, the water stung as it fell over my closed eyes, I felt like I could collapse then and there but I held myself together.

I went into my room and got clothes out, our teacher said she wanted us to take this presentation 'seriously' so we should 'dress the part' but honestly I could care less right now. All I want is a grade, I don't care about any of this any more, this was meant to be fun, I enjoyed doing this but after yesterday I'm not in the mood for anything.

I got black skinny jeans and a plain white blouse, I put my hair into a half up half down pony tail and went over to my dresser. Everything was on the floor. I would cry over it again, but I'm out of tears.

I picked up the bag of makeup on the floor and carried it back over the the dresser before sitting down. I know I look like a mess which is the only reason I'm doing all this today. It's a damn cover up, just like I do every family holiday, because for some reason if I dress up in the slightest people seem to think everything's okay.

I put on concealer and foundation, I set it with powder then moved on to contour, I used a light hand and then went in with blush and some highlight, just to add colour and definition back into my skin, putting on some mascara and then my glasses, I have naturally thick eyebrows so I don't bother doing them.

I got my things and went down the stairs, I saw my dad asleep on the sofa and I looked away, I don't even want to look at him. I got my keys from the counter and left the house.

It's very early, I decided to walk to school. On the way I stopped at a coffee shop and got some juice. When I'm in a bad mood I don't feel like eating but I forced myself to take a few sips and I went over my notes for our presentation. After I was done going over notes I closed the bottle of juice and put it back in my bag.

I made my way to school and to the library as usual.

Luke's POV

I walked into the school library to go find Everest before school. I could see her at a desk, she wasn't wearing her hoodie and her hair was down so I almost didn't recognise her.

I walked up to her and put my bag down, she looked up at me when I did.

Wow, I could tell she had makeup on but it looked really natural, but she still looked so different. She always looks beautiful no matter this is just a different type of beautiful to what she normally wears.

"Hey." I finally spoke up,

She gave me a smile and looked back down. She didn't look as happy as she usually is, her eyes looked drained as if she hadn't slept.

"You alright?" I asked sitting down.

She nodded her head but didn't make eye contact with me.

"Everest what's wrong?" I asked moving some of her hair and tucking it behind her ear. She flinched a little and went to move my hand away.

"Look, Alaki is going to walk in here any minute okay? I don't want him to think there's anything going on, so please can you just... not." She said,

Ouch, I didn't expect her to say that. None the less I pulled my hand away.

"Sorry..." I said, "and sorry for yesterday, I didn't think he'd get angry with you."

"Can we please just work on the project Luke? I'm really sorry but I'm not in the mood to talk about anything." She said making eye contact with me. She looked like she could break down and cry at any moment.

I listened to what she said and turned around, opening up a notebook.

--------

Everest's POV

"And that is how lady Macbeth manipulated those around her." I said,

"And how the relationship between her and Macbeth was toxic, even if they both tried to use it for the better." Luke concluded.

There was a round of applause like there always is in class presentations.

"Excellent! I'm really proud of you both!" Our English teacher said, "really well put together, I'm very impressed!"

Luke and I went back to our desks and Emily leaned over to whisper to me,

"You did really well." She said,

"Thanks." I whispered back.

The presentations continued and Emily was on her phone texting someone. She tapped my arm and I turned around.

"Look," she whispered pointing to her phone screen, "Luke hooked up with Andrea on Saturday."

That was the day before I went over to his house,

"She literally took pictures the next morning and everything," she said,

She showed me and o saw Luke covering half his face with his arm but a clear smile evident in his face, I turned away after I saw that.

"He's such a player." She said, "are you friends?"

I shrugged my shoulders, luckily the bell rang and I was able to get up and leave.

I walked up and out of the classroom as fast as I could.

----------

"Luke just go and sit next to Everest, I'm done arguing with you." Our French teacher said.

Luke stood up and got his rings before walking over to where I was sat, he pulled out the seat next to me and sat down.

We didn't speak to one another all lesson.

When we left the classroom, I felt like take my wrist and gently pull me to the side. I almost immediately pulled away,

"Everest... what's wrong?" He asked softly, concern laced his voice.

"... I just don't want to talk about it." I muttered.

"Everest!" I heard my brothers voice call out from down the hall.

I turned to see him walking towards us.

"Oh, that's what." Luke said quietly,

Alaki looked up at Luke before looking down at me,

"I thought I told you to stay away from my sister." He said,

"Can both of you just stop?" I hissed,

"Why won't you leaver her alone?" Alaki said walking closer to Luke, "go find another girl to use, your not touching my sister."

"That's not what I'm interested in, are you kidding me?" Luke said sounding highly offended.

"There's a reason all your friends are boys Luke, you have a didn't girl every week, just leave her alone." Alaki said, stepping even closer,

"Stop!" I said, and both of them froze and looked down at me.

I turned around and saw everyone looking in our direction, I wanted to speak up and scream at both of them but I just couldn't. I felt tears rush to me eyes, I just put my head down and quickly ran away from both of them.

"Everest stop!" I heard Alaki yell, but I ignored him.