Chapter Twelve

Lauren's POV

I was chickening out on asking Camila to go to New York with me, I didn't know if it was appropriate to ask her. I have only known her for a few months and although we have hit it off pretty well I wasn't 100% sure that she's comfortable around me.

It's been a couple of days since Chef Geoffrey invited me and I knew that I was narrowing on time. I needed to ask her very soon I just had to work the nerve up.

It was now Wednesday and it was a busy day for Camila and I, we had to prepare food for a family that will cover two weeks. I was so reluctant to take it on but it was so much money so I wasn't going to pass it up.

"Here Camila, let's take a break." I said.

I placed two plates of salad with grilled chicken on the island for us to eat. I had something in the oven so I thought it would be a good time to take a break.

"Thank you, this looks great." She says taking a seat.

I handed her a fork then took a seat beside her.

I give her a smile. "Hope you like it."

"When have I not liked something that you've made?" She smirked.

"There is a first time for everything." I shrugged.

"I doubt that." She said taking a bite of her salad. "Mmm, see this is amazing."

I regard her warmly.

"So how have things been going?" I asked.

"Good, for the most part. I made the mistake of visiting my mother, I wanted to see how she was doing since my dad passed but that was not a clever idea." She shared.

"What is her deal?" I wondered.

"She's always been that way with me; I've always been this screw up in her eyes. I wasn't a bad kid but her constant put downs lead me down a path I would have never went down otherwise. She made me feel worthless and I began to think of myself that way, then a lifestyle of partying ensued." She says.

"Seeing you now I would have never thought you were this hardcore party girl, you seem so chilled and down to earth." I observed.

"I was introverted growing up my mother hated that I'd rather read a book than hang out with friends. Truth is I wasn't very social growing up and I didn't have friends really. My mother would force me to go to these school functions so that I could make friends, against my will of course. When I finally did make friends, they weren't a very good influence on me and that destructive pathway was opened." She takes a bite of her salad before continuing. "Remember when you told me that Dino was having a tough time making friends?" She asked.

"I do, and you told me not to force anything on him." I replied.

"My mother forced me to make friends and nothing good came of it, it wasn't natural or authentic as friendship should be. The friends that I had were ones that saw me as being easily manipulated and I was. Dino needs patients and he has to be able to discern for himself who's good enough to be his friend." She advised.

"I understand that now, but thank you for telling me that I appreciate it." I said taking a sip of water.

"No problem, I just see how amazing Dino is." She gives me a smile.

" She gives me a smile