Jasper Mardi Gras - Jose Neves

"Hurry up, compadre!" Pedro shouted at me, from the store "The parade starts tonight and the roads will be closed early!!" I rolled my eyes, while still unloading the truck.

"We could go faster if you could help me!" I argued with him. After saying those words, Pedro disappeared inside the store, mumbling things about 'checking the goods' and 'counting the payment'. Typical Pedro, all the laziness, but none of the work. Which is why the doctor is not surprised my lower back is hurting me more and more these days.

I'm not as young as I once was.

"That was the last, Jose!" I groaned in complain. I immediately climbed into the passenger's seat, to have some relax, but I know it won't be the case, as we have three more delivers to do before the parade's roads are cut. The good part is that I don't have to drive.. The bad part is that Pedro drives like if he was being chased by el Diablo. No matter what, he always looks back to see if someone is chasing us.

One day, I bet he will see the police on his mirror.

Four hours later, and some arguments in between, Pedro and me were able to finish all the deliveries. I headed back home, thinking I would have a couple of hours before the parade. So, I headed to take a nap, after greeting my wife and my kids, who were doing their homework.

I woke up three hours later, thanks to the noise of the street.

The bad side of living by the French Quarter is that they take Mardi Gras very seriously. I haven't seen a community take a holiday this seriously. Part of me is ashamed, as I don't have it deep in my traditions, except maybe Día de los Muertos, but we don't do this big of an issue! Classes are cancelled and store only open half a day, while the rest of the night bars and pubs are open.

Anyway, when I woke up from my nap, my wife realized I wasn't feeling OK. My face gave it away.

"Ay, Jose... You go sleep..." I sighed and kissed her cheek, reassuring her. She's trying to get her English better since she moved here with me. We used to live in the latino neighborhood in Florida. It was easier for her.

"Eva, I'm alright... Besides, the kids wants to see the parade..." Just as cue, my kids appeared wearing hundreds and hundreds of colorful bead necklaces and two maracas in their hands "Ready for Mardi Gras, niños?"

"Siiii!!" they celebrated, before hugging their mother tight "Bye, Mamá!!"

"I'll look out for them, I promise" I promised her, though I couldn't avoid the glint of excitement in my eyes. Eva rolled her eyes and smirked, knowing that I'd be careful too. Grabbing my kids hands, we headed towards the center of the French Quarters to see the parade. The kids were still a little impressed upon the display of the celebration, and they stayed close to me.

Carefully, and gently, we made our way towards the front road to see better the parade. The kids began to jump and wave at the passing parades, grabbing things once in a while. Most of the time, another necklace for their collection, though I wore them, fearing they could be choked with them.

"Papi! You are pretty!!" Amelia, my five-year-old, giggled when she saw me wearing a pink crown she had caught. I chuckled with her and lowered my head so she could take it from me and onto her head.

I couldn't heard it, thanks to the loud music. But I felt it.

I went stiffed in my position. I was simply bending over so my sweetie little girl could take a crown off my head and now, I cannot move. Hugo, my ten-year-old son, realized something was wrong. Very intelligent, that boy.

"Papi? You alright?" I wanted to lie to him, I really wanted to. But I couldn't, my face was twisted in pain and I couldn't move. No lie could be of help now. By now, Amelia knew something was wrong and looked worried she had did something for it. I tried to stand up, to tell them to go back home with me, but I couldn't talk. I feared that if I did, I'd scream in pain.