Thaluke/Annabeth Chinese New Year - Li Xiao Lan

I wake up, trying to remember where I am. I looked outside the window to remind myself that I am in United States of America.

Far away from home.

Sighing, I get up from my bed and head to the shower, hating more and more being away from home in a time like this. Snow is slowly falling and the temperature is similar to the one at home, but that didn't mean that I was suppose to be here. I was suppose to be at home, with my wife and kids and this would be the first time we would be apart in this festivities.

Today was the Chinese New Year. And I was expected to celebrated alone.

I didn't grasp why people in America didn't like to respect other countries festivities. That business was sometimes more important than family didn't seem to enter my mind. One of my business partners is jew and I know, with absolute certain, that there's a week in September- or around September, don't have a calendar in my head -that she won't be working. I have the decency of not booking any meetings with her!

I had to remind the partners at the meeting yesterday that I won't be working for the next two weeks and, well... let's just say that they didn't appreciate it.

I know what you're thinking. 'Why didn't I take a plane back to Hong Kon, or wherever I'm from?' Simple, because no one works during Chinese New Year. Is sacred, like New Year for the Christians and every other religion. So, I'm stuck here. No one was more upset than me when I realized about that little detail.

I may not be working, but several stores were, as for them it wasn't a holiday or a festivity. So, I decided to cook myself dinner, even a frugal one, so I could celebrate my traditions. I bought the ingredients and paid for them, the cashier looking at me like if I crawled from some hole. I sighed, not wanting to give an explanation. Why should I, anyway?

When I turned around the corner, I hear noises. More like mumblings and whispers, but there were noises as well. Frowning, I slowly get closer to the alley, only to hear more and more noises.

"Nothing will do..." a male teen voice said, with a slight frustration.

"We'll do... I know we will..." someone replied, this time, a female "Besides, we can fraction it..."

"I know, it's just-" the boy- from my hearing perspective, it was a male younger than myself -stopped talking before his head appeared from behind the trash can. It was a blonde teenager, not older than fifteen. His face was dirty and his hair looked more dark than blonde. His skin was tanned and his blue sky eyes were watching me with wary and carefulness.

"I won't hurt you..." I told him, using my flawless-schooled-taught english to communicate "You and your friend can come out, I won't hurt you..." I repeated. I wasn't planning on, as my own kids have his age. It would make me hypocrite if I do. Still wary, he came out, holding out a sharp stick, probably to defend himself.

"Who- who are you?" he demanded to know. I thought it was fair.

"Li is my surname... You can call me that..." I decided, showing a gentle smile. Last time I smiled like that was in front of my wife, she's so clueless sometimes! "Can I know your name?" He hesitated, but someone called his attention behind the trash can. Peaking from in front of him, the head of a seven-year-old little girl stared at my curious and calculating grey eyes "Hello, there..." The little girl squeaked and hid behind the boy's legs.

"Thalia, come out" the boy called out. The girl didn't belonged to the little girl, asI was hoping, but to a twelve-year-old dark-haired teenager girl. She was probably the one replying to him before "This is Annabeth and I'm Luke..."

"Delighted to meet you all, children..." I greeted them, bowing my head slightly. The little one peaked behind the boy's legs and blushed when I looked at her "Would you like a hot shower and a hot meal tonight?" I offered them. Everyone raised an eyebrow, like if offers like this weren't normal.

"N-no monsters?" the youngest squeked, a little fearful. It kind of broke my heart.

"No monsters come around New Year's, I can promise you that..." I assured her. I saw her eyebrows scrunch together, confused "Well, at least no in Chinese New Year..." The boy seemed the most wary about me, but the girls looked like I was sent from Heaven "Would you like to join me? No one should be alone in Chinese New Year..."

"Why are you?" the girl asked me. I smiled again at them.

"I'm away from my family... Business truly never sleep..." I tried to joke, though I remembered that I was talking to children. I gestured them to follow me and they walked behind me, careful and fearful.

At least, I wasn't going to be alone in New Year...

~oOo~

While the kids took turns and showered themselves, I separated some clothes for them. Some will be bigger for the girls, but it was better than nothing, as I had their own ones in the washing machine. Unfortunately, my good intentions almost causes a riot when I offered to bath little Annabeth. Luke was adamantly against it, and so was Thalia. Not even explaining that I had a younger daughter and did so regularly was able to dissuade them, so I allowed Thalia to do the job. Meanwhile I told Luke about my family, showing him pictures about them.

"My eldest will be your age now..." I told him, while making dinner "His birthday will be in two weeks and I cannot say I'm disappointed of him... You remind me of him" I glanced at him, earning a surprised look "Brave, overprotective on his younger sisters, careful... Your parents taught you well-"

"My parents don't care about me" he interrupted me, his mood turning sour "And theirs don't either" I frowned, not being able to understand how parents wouldn't care about their childrens. I wiped my hands on the apron and placed it on Luke's shoulder.

"Let me tell you a secret, Luke... You may call family to those you share blood with... But that doesn't mean you cannot build a new one, sharing everything but that" I advised him, with a smile on my own "I know I just met you guys, but I'm more than willing to let you stay for the rest of the celebration... Are you up to?" Luke stared at me, as if he couldn't believe me. He ended up simply nodding.

Somehow, I'm grateful my wife or even her cousin aren't here... Those two would ended up adopting them!

----

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SilverHuntresses/posts/