The Glue That Binds Lovers

Start from the beginning

An epiphany occurs in my mind after learning Lomasi's words of guidance that also transports me back to the night of my birthday when I told my Mom that I only fight people for criticizing my weight. Looking back at it now, fighting with my two fists is getting old for a twenty six and a half year old woman like me. "Lomasi, after I beat Cynthia and Angelica, it'll be my last physical fight before I defend myself with words." I vow. The corners of her mouth lift and before she's about to speak, I turn my head to the sound of the door opening before it closes. I turn my head back to the right where in this moment; my nose takes in the aroma with a hint of oranges and vanilla.

"Who's spraying perfume around here?" Cousin Michelle sniffs through her nose. I face at her and give her a shrug. "It could possibly be the air fresheners for the walls. You know, like Febreeze—"

"Jaelyn..." A husky, serene male voice responds. I glance up to where the voice comes from when our eyes gaze at each other's faces.

"Danny." I softly answer while I keep my eyes fixated at his own eyes. I look into his eyes... His glossy eyes are now inflamed with blood as if he's been crying. His mouth goes from a frown with a pout to his lips perfectly forming into a sexy Italian smile he's known for giving me since the beginning. He snakes his arms around my waist and I wrap my arms around his back as he moves his head pass the crook of my neck as he whispers, "I miss you so much, il mio amore."

I tippy toe to lean to his ear. "I miss you so much, Danny." I recognize that my voice is cracking because Danny pulls his head from my ear and admires at my face as his thumb wipes the tear away before he leans to my lips. Our lips reunite when sparks go through my body until I hear Aunt Vivian calling out, "Okay, love birds! I know you guys miss each other so much, but please take a seat."

We sit beside each other on the sofa and Aunt Vivian clears her throat. "Jaelyn, how did you and Danny meet" Aunt Vivian queries. I crack my knuckles and I begin speaking, "Danny and I met on December 14, 2015 when I was crying and Mama Elyse cheered me up. After she left, I decide to get out of the restroom as a confident woman when I pushed the door way too hard that I cause the man to curse after I spilled his cup of coffee on the floor. And when I saw him, I notice that he's a bestseller author named Danny Walker." I turn to face Danny on my left side. "I'm a fan of his work and they're the books that I read before I go to bed at night. He's written books like; Tim's Faith, God, Love, and Coffee, The Mistress' Lipstick, and he's now writing an anthology of poems for women." I watch my Aunt Vivian lower her eyeglasses and raises her eyebrow to her forehead.

"Anyway... I apologized and he asked me for my name as well as signing his autograph for me. Then, we went to Starbucks so we can learn what we like and don't like along with giving each other our phone numbers." I explain and look down at Aunt Vivian writing something down on her notepad. "Jaelyn and Danny, her uncle and I were outside of the Lincoln Center when we witnessed a fight between you, Jaelyn and who were those girls' names, Danny?" Aunt Vivian inquiries.

"The woman who was wearing expensive branding clothes is my stepmother, Cynthia, who tries to flirt with me and is my father's wife." Danny answers.

"Cynthia was also my ex-wife." I turn to Randall and I completely forgot Danny and Randall come together because I was busy gazing at Danny's eyes and the expression on his face. I turn my head to Aunt Vivian, who is now furrowing her eyebrows at Randall. "Excuse me? Your father... Your father married your ex-wife, Randall?" She questions.

"Yeah!" Danny and Randall answer simultaneously. Aunt Vivian tilts her head forward. "Excuuuuse me, Randall! I didn't know you have a twin in your voice." Aunt Vivian sarcastically jokes and some of us chortle in the living room before a loud tap of the foot against the dark oak wood flooring causes us to cease our laughter. The, she turns to face Danny. "Is this true, Danny?" Aunt Vivian inquiries.