55- Nightmares AU

Third Person's P.O.V.

   Dean awakens in the middle of the night for, what seems, no reason. It's not until a few short moments later that he hears the knocks on the dorm door. He looks over at the other bed as he climbs out his own. His roommate's already there.

   Opening the door reveals his best friend, Castiel. His eyes are wide, he's pale, wringing his hands, and can't seems to stand still at all.

      "Nightmare?" Dean whispers, to which Castiel nods. Dean jerks his head inside the dorm and steps aside to let Castiel in.

   Dean closes and locks the door back up as Castiel walks to his bed and climbs in. Dean climbs in after Castiel and shifts to face him.

      "Do'ya wanna talk 'bout it?" Dean whispers, trying to stay awake for his best friend. 

   Castiel shakes his head, "We can talk tomorrow," he whispers back. Dean nods and shifts so he's lying on his back. He moves his arm when Castiel scoots so closely that his head can rest on Dean's shoulder.

   This has been happening for most of their life. When they were younger, the Winchesters (Mary, Dean and Sam) were living with the Novaks' for a great amount of time, since they couldn't afford their own place.

   John Winchester was the one working for to pay everything and Mary was a stay at home mom. When John died, Mary had to work, but it just wasn't enough. John had worked up to the status he was at for years and his job alone paid for everything they needed.

    The Novaks' then weren't as close with the Winchesters' as they are now, but were kind enough to give them a place to stay. That's where Dean and Castiel became friends.

- - - - - -

*17 Years Ago*

   Dean was a shy kid in the house, he wasn't in his home, it was a stranger's. He felt uneasy in the room he was staying in, mostly because he had to share it with the youngest Novak, Castiel. Even though Castiel was 7 (only a year older than Dean) and could easily be friends with him, Dean didn't want to be there. He wanted his dad and his home back. He felt strange just walking to the bathroom. Eating with the other family was awkward too, the Novaks would ask him questions when he didn't even want to talk.

   Castiel noticed that Dean wouldn't do much but do his homework and hold his little brother. He wouldn't talk to Castiel, his parents, nor his siblings. Dean would just say a few words to his own mother.

   One day, when they were in their room, Castiel asked Dean if he wanted to play. Dean declined and apologized.

      "Are you okay?" Castiel asked after Dean turned away, lying down to face the wall.

      "I'm fine," Dean mumbled.

      "Are you sure? Mama says to tell someone if you're not okay, that they could help you feel better."

   Dean stayed quiet for so long, Castiel thought he wouldn't answer. Castiel was about to find someone else to play with when Dean said something quietly.

      "What did you say?" Castiel asked.

      "I miss my dad," Dean repeated clearly. He shuffled back around to look at Castiel.

      "Oh.. I'm sorry about what happened to him." Castiel walks over to the mattress that Dean in lying on on the other side of the room.

      "It's okay.. it's not like you killed him," Dean's voice quivered, doing his best to not let the tears fall. 

   Castiel took a seat on the mattress, "Can-Can I hug you? That always makes me feel better, maybe it'll make you feel better too."

   Dean shook his head, "No, it's okay."

   Castiel didn't listen though, instead he gently grabbed Dean's hands and pulled him up to be sitting. Then he wrapped his arms around Dean's torso and rested his chin on his shoulder.

      "I want to be your friend, Dean," Castiel said quietly.

   Dean sighed quietly and wrapped his arms around Castiel.

      "Okay."

   After that, Dean was a little less shy. He would actually talk to Castiel and play some games in their room. Though, Dean still wouldn't talk much with anyone else.

   The first time Castiel had a nightmare was when he was 8. He woke up in a dark room which frightened him even more. His first reaction was to get out of bed and walk over to Dean. They've grown to be best friends, so he know he could tell Dean anything.

   Castiel hoped that Dean wouldn't be mad for waking him up as he tapped Dean's shoulder.

      "Cas?" Dean asked, "What's wrong?"

      "I, I," Castiel stuttered, "I had a nightmare."

      "Oh," Dean says, "Do you want to tell me what it was?"

      "Not right now..." Castiel shook his head, "Can I sleep with you though? Mom and dad aren't here.. they always let me sleep with them after a nightmare though."

      "Yeah, okay," Dean said. He moved over to one side of the bed and lifted the sheets for Castiel. Back when they had a home, Mary and John would let Dean sleep in their bed too, and it would make him feel better.

   Castiel climbed in Dean's mattress and rested his head on one of Dean's pillows. Dean gave him a sleepy smile and closed his eyes. Castiel scooted closer to Dean and closed his eyes. They both fell asleep and Castiel didn't have another nightmare that night. From then on, most of the time, Castiel would go to Dean after a nightmare.

- - - - - -

*Present Day*

   Dean turns on his side, feeling the warm body pressed against his chest. He can feel Castiel's arm around his waist and legs pressed against his own. Castiel's hair is tickling his scruffy chin and he feels his soft breaths through his t-shirt.

   Dean knows Castiel is waking up when he makes a snorting noise. He's come to learn that Castiel wakes up about minute after the snorting noise.

   Castiel rubs his head against Dean's chest as he wakes up, wanting stay in the warmth of Dean longer.  Dean makes him feel safe and loved. It's like having your favorite teddy bear or blanket or toy with you in times of fear. It's like having met your soul mate in your darkest times. It's like Dean his light that guides him through the right path. Everything just feels right with Dean and he loves it.

      "Mornin', Sunshine," Dean says, running a hand through Castiel's bed hair.

      "Good morning, Dean," Castiel smiles.