Insecurities (Keith x Fem!Reader)

She wasn't as cute as Pidge was, nor as smart as the green paladin either. Compared to the princess herself, she wasn't even competition if she were talking ability and looks. Then what was she to others? A lost cause or a joke perhaps. Without realizing, a sigh had escaped her chapped lips, a weary smile forming on her facial features. She could recall that day clearly, taunting her of the ruckus the (h/c) haired female caused the group, the quickened heart beat, the echoing sounds coming from her friends slowly fading, everything.

"It's not your fault,"

"It's never my fault..." She could remember herself murmur, hand sliding through her (h/c) locks as she holds the hem of her pastel blue sweater, "you always say that."

"You always say that..." She repeats, eyes fluttering open to the sight of the tiled ceiling of the barracks and she was reminded once more that she wasn't resting on the living room sofa, head resting upon her dear friend's leg.

"You must like sleeping here," Pidge says, supporting equipment in her arms as she places them on the table, "so are you going to help or not?"

With a slight nod as a reply, the paladin took a seat beside (y/n), already set to prepare a small tracking device that could help the female in times of trouble. A sigh managed to escape her lips, silence taking over and a slightly worried Pidge pausing to look up to see if the young woman was fine. Much to her surprise, the green paladin sat up straight, honey brown eyes glistening with curiosity and the pale hand placed on her leg to reassured (y/n) that she was there, prepared to listen to anything she had to say.

"Thank you Pidge," was all she could muster up, "I think I just need to walk around for a while, I'll help you later, okay?"

For a moment, she wondered if she was just avoiding the conversation of how out of place she felt, how insecure she truly was around everyone, especially him. Keith was always someone she admired, intriguing to watch, and his smile was absolutely mesmerizing. It wasn't often she saw it, yet it made her feel at ease and it brought a smile to her lips, heat to her cheeks, and unavoidable eye contact she didn't like much but in an instant, enjoyed. The door slid closed behind her and she let a sigh of relief slip, slowly making her way forward, down the white corridor where she always went in secret. It didn't take her long to get to the door where the lionesses were placed, she often we there to sit and admire them.

Today was no different, she sat close to the wall, head tilted upwards to watch the robotic animals she loved so much, a gentle smile plastered on her facial features. It was a bit cold, yet she didn't mind at all. 'I wonder if they'd get mad if they found out I come here,' it was a pointless thought but in the end, it caused worry to bubble within her. She inhales, then exhales to calm her nerves, attempting to ease her anxiousness as she awaits something to happen.

"I hope you guys are doing well," she whispers, though it echoes, a slight chuckle escaping at the realization, "can I come again?"

It was useless to ask the lionesses but she did anyway, her fingertips touching the yellow lion as if to pet it, head searching up to see if she could get a reaction. Nothing. She let her hand drop to her side, another smile accompanying her features as she takes her leave from the room and she could hear a slight movement. (Y/n) could hear herself chuckle again, waving goodbye to the lionesses as she exits the premises. Being in the same area with the coloured animals always calmed her a bit after all.