Home sick (Shiro x Reader!)

'Shiro,' the soft call of his beloved enchanted him, dark eyes clouded from the crystal clear memories that he tried many times to dismiss. It was only two in the morning and he awoke, cold sweat trickling down the nape of his neck. He had the same dream every night, no matter how hard he tried, he could never completely erase his horrid memories of being held captive by the Galra Empire. 'Shiro,' there it was again, the gentle call of his lover caused him to sit up out of panic, hoping he could see her beautiful face once more, though nothing happened.

It was all in his head, was he going crazy just thinking of home? No. The leader of Voltron shouldn't think that way, the operator of the black paladin let out a sigh, rustling his hair, inhaling and exhaling again. Mind whirling, the man hit the bed before forcing his eyes closed. It was no use. He could no longer set his mind free, even though his body went limp, he was stuck laying on his back, arms behind his head as he stares at the bunk atop. He let another sigh escape his lips for the third time that morning and decided on a late night snack, at least that's what Hunk would have done in that particular situation.

He slipped on his shoes, preparing to leave the lonely room that left him to his very own thoughts. The only company he had to himself was the dim shadow of his as he walked by any sort of light, picking up his pace after a solid minute. After this turn, he should be getting to the kitchen where most of his food was prepared. And before he knew it, there it was, blinding light making a shadow of the window frame on the floor and a rather pudgy figure popping up suddenly. It had to be Hunk, he's the only one the leader would suspect to be lurking around so late, perhaps he was hungry again, that man could never get enough to eat after all.

"Hunk-," Shiro calls, pleasantly, "is that you?"

The tanned man merely turns his head to face Shiro, large open grin on his face to assure him that it was in fact, Hunk in the kitchen, "Oh hi, Shiro, I was just getting a late night snack," he says, presenting something that actually looks edible, "Coran was trying to kill us the other day, so I like to sneak in here and check what they have. Want some?"

It was unusual for Shiro to be up this late, but Hunk had no intentions of finding out why either. Instead, he tried his best to comfort the leader by offering some of his latest masterpieces, sliding a plate in front of him. The small blissful smile soon made its appearance which to Hunk's surprise, made him somehow relieved.

"You smiled finally," Hunk says, grin full of accomplishment, "you looked like you were in pretty rough shape when you came in here, but glad that's over with,"

The man's eyes widen from the surprising words that left Hunk's mouth, though he appreciated every minute of the silence that took over later on, Hunk always seemed to support everyone. 'Shiro,' she calls, but of course, Shiro only froze in his spot at the sudden reminder of his significant other. It was no use. Even the late night snack didn't do him any good and this time, Hunk looked curious enough, almost like he was ready to question his very being.

"What's wrong, Shiro?" Hunk asks, tone full of concern for the black paladin, "at least I can tell when somethings on your mind, now if you don't mind, I'd like you to tell me,"

He knew it. Hunk was curious enough to ask questions. Shiro took another shaky breath before proceeding with the truth, eye brows frowning as he takes a small bite out of the food. It didn't take long for Hunk to shove the entire platter of food into his large mouth, loud chewing noises echoing the room where the two men stood.  Then, he got Hunk's undivided attention once more.

"I miss earth," the man admits, although he wasn't being completely honest with Hunk.

"Don't worry about it, I'm sure everyone does," Hunk replies, he knew. He hasn't spent a lot of time with Shiro to understand, but under some circumstances, he knew when Shiro wasn't being completely honest with himself and his teammates, "I mean, it's only natural since we've been stuck out in space for a while now,"

"That's not what I was gonna say actually," he starts, again, nervous to confess his life on earth, "there's someone dear to me that's waiting, patiently, or..."

"-Maybe not. Who knows if she's still waiting on me?" Shiro finishes, staring at Hunk who merely nods.

"If she loves you, then she'll wait," was all Hunk could manage, making another plate of whatever it was he made, "I'm not sure what it's like to be in a long distance relationship, or even have a girlfriend, but from what I know, I think she will pray for your safe arrival, I know this since my family's probably like that too,"

Great. He was getting relationship advice, although he didn't mind, for some reason, that calmed his nerves. He was presumed dead on earth after the failed karberos mission and he often wondered about (y/n), the way she forcibly made him promise to return home, that smile of hers sealing their final wish as she watches his crew get ready for take off. He missed her. It felt like eternity since he witnessed the cute smile of hers, the way she would laugh and try to make him feel better every time he felt upset, just like Hunk was doing.

Hunk grins sheepishly towards the tense looking Shiro before him. He knew all too well how it felt to feel homesick, to want to return and the unsettling feeling of loneliness kicking in. That's exactly why Hunk wanted to do everything in his power to help their leader to overcome the depression of home sickness. There it was, the unsettling feeling in his stomach kicking in as he watches Shiro look seemingly weak, almost drained.

"I might sleep," Shiro says, staring at the full plate of goo, barely even touched, "thanks Hunk,"

The nod of consent from the tanned man sent Shiro off, though Hunk couldn't help but worry for him. It wasn't often he saw his leader in that state after all. Hunk stared at the plate full of his latest creation, spoon half full, was he merely pretending to take a bite? Hunk let out a sigh, picking up the dishes and setting them on the table for morning cleaning. He was already too tired to do anything and to top it all off, he had morning training with everyone, so he'd have to wake up before anyone to wash his mess.

~

'Shiro, promise me! Promise me you'll come back safely... Please?' He could recall her plead for reassurance, the sound of pain and loneliness as she holds out her pinky towards him. The man nods, pinkies entwined as she pulls him by the collar to her size, soft lips crashing on top of his. He could still remember the feelings he had, flustered by the courageous woman of his.

His black-grey eyes open quickly, surge of adrenaline running through his veins. For once, it wasn't the same dream of the experiments he was put through during his time in the Galra Empire but a dream of his beloved. It gave him hope. A soft smile crept on his face, brushing the blankets off, he changed into his black paladin suit and made his way out of his dorm. He still deeply missed his lover, but the memory of her blissful smile left him feeling like the world was his. No, the universe. He had hoped she was still waiting for his return, he hoped she still kept the silver necklace he purchased for her birthday, he hoped he could make it home after it all the evil diminished and could return to her side once more.

"Woah, you're in a really good mood," Keith comments, blinking towards the smiling Shiro that left his silent room.

"You think?" Shiro asks, chuckling as they make their way to the practice room.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: OH MY GOD, I ALMOST MADE IT DEPRESSING. SHIRO DESERVES HAPPINESS!!! I WANT HUNK TO GIVE HIM A HUG FOR ME!!! I'm going to try make everything cute from now on, I can't make everything so cruel, the characters deserve a better author omg. ha, so I found out I failed my chemistry exam, including the class and my mom got so pissed like aaaaah, I tried my best mom! (Not really, I maybe studied for five minutes) Anyway, please feel free to request and vote! Thanks for reading~!