Soulmates (Lance x Reader!)

Modern, Soulmate AU~
"Oh god, I love Lance too much. Writing this made me so happy."
"I enjoy giving reader different traits, it brings me life."
"Exam prep went terrible by the way."
"Oh, this went okay I guess,"
"Also, I wasn't sure if this is how you wanted this so here it is."
"I'll rewrite this maybe. ( if I'm not lazy)"
- Words from Mel a.k.a. Author~
Requested by @Savanime19
(Not sure when your birthday is, but Happy 21st Birthday!!!)
_____________________
'What were Soulmates anyway?'

It was something (y/n) couldn't understand, much like a puzzle missing some pieces, she couldn't wrap her head around it. The small question was left unanswered as always, a warm smile on her mother's lips as she resumed her duties in the kitchen, making tiny sandwiches to feast at the park as the two watch Maxi's soccer game, and although she made it clear she had no intention on going, her mother gave her the piercing glance that robbed her of words, a mere nod in response. It was hopeless to reason with such a woman anyway, the wave of tension steadily lifting and returning to the calmness of the evenings events. A sigh of relief soon fell from (y/n)'s lips, eyes battering opened and closed as she followed behind her mother, already dressed in a navy blue sweatshirt and white pants to greatly embarrass the little brunette girl at the nationals, (y/n) regretting her decision of going immensely.

By the time the two plopped on the car seats, it was 6 O'clock, the ticking of the clock never irritated the female so much before. 'Tic tic tic...' The keys were set in the ignition, the blue van finally moving forwards. 'What is a soulmate anyway?' No matter how many people she asks, no one gave the slightest explanation. She could recall her grandmother's smile full of innocence as (y/n) had question, baffled by the rosy cheeks of hers, hazel eyes searching for the picture of her soulmate on the night stand next to her bed.

"One day, (y/n), one day...." She could hear the raspy voice of the sixty-three year old woman say, pleasantly, "it happens so unexpectedly, just like it ends so unexpectedly,"

'One day?' It's been too long since that day and her so called soulmate hasn't made any appearance whatsoever, not even a little one! What sort of person would keep her waiting, eating at her patience oh so quickly? She was at a loss now, nearing her helplessness and readiness to abandon hope of finding her significant other, they were out there somewhere, she hoped at least. Her mind was a mess, stomach churning at the thought of living with the sort of empty feeling she got ever so often, reminding her of another whom had shared the same bubbling displeasure, not to mention the constant curiosity that welled deep within. It frustrated her so much, her soulmate must be an idiot. Yeah, that must be it.

The ride to the field was a quiet one, just the soft playing of old country music her mother liked and the hum of (y/n)'s voice because she faced the fact that she couldn't sing as well as she thought she could, perhaps her mother was just being nice. For a moment, she was reminded of the arguments that her now divorced parents went through, the late night lies, the mourning of the loss of affection between them and most of all, the regret that washed over their faces after everything. A look of sympathy was flashed towards her mother, what if her soulmate had already given up long ago? Had he or she too become as impatient and anxious as she? (Y/n) would never find out.

~

After the game had ended, the red team coming out victorious, Maxi, her ten little sister had once again became a shut in, completely oblivious to the new episode of their favourite television series. (Y/n), currently spread out on the couch lay still, a sigh of exasperation escaping her lips. She wore (f/c) pyjamas, (h/c) locks covering her face because she was much too lazy to brush the stands of hair away. The looming feelings resurfaced, a groan to show her dissatisfaction as she was compelled to shift her position into a sitting position, hand reaching for the remote to turn down the volume. Doing so, the sudden roar of an animal had awakened her senses.

'Seriously, where was that even coming from?' It must have been some silly joke the neighbourhood kids pulled on her, they always seemed to to do that and there she would be, falling victim for their little schemes. Perhaps even the wind, recently the weather had been fairly active, one hour it would be windy, the next not at all. It was strange really.

There it was again.

Wow, so scary.

And again, as if it were calling to her. She was boiled with immediate annoyance, standing on her feet by then, listening intently to follow the roars so she could retract the aimless cries. It was coming from outside and not thinking too much, she slipped on the closest pair of shoes to her, exiting the house to follow the nuisance of a noise that gave her a slight migraine. From her destination, it was clear it wasn't a mere prank from the children, though it still bewildered her as to what the call for her was. She could feel something, a presence unknown and she searched the old playground for any signs of life.
'A.... Tiger?' No, it wasn't quite a tiger, a spirit. (Y/n), finally processing that her spirit animal was something so damn cool, stood in awe at the very sight of the orangey-white animal, mixed with black. The roar caused her to freeze, eyes averting to the ground, for some reason she felt as though she was being scolded by the untamed wildlife. She heard the crunching of small branches, a male accompanied by another animal (y/n) couldn't quite make out. 'A.... Bird.' She burst into a small fit of laughter, attempting to withhold it in.

"Bird... Hah.." (Y/n) says, calming down after a solid minute.

Her vision now clear, (y/n) covered her mouth quickly, the young man distracted by the bird, as if he hadn't noticed her in his presence. He had slightly tanned skin, mahogany brown hair hiding underneath a grey hoodie and another layer on, a green jacket unzipped, hanging loosely which revealed his plain T-shirt. His eyes glanced over, a flash of surprise written all over his facial features as he made his way towards her, a pause in his movements. With every step, her pulse began to quicken, mind going blank and she thought how stupid she must be.

"Ah, you here for the same reason?" She asks, averting her gaze out of nervousness.

"Quiznack," he mutters, under his breath.

"Um... Excuse me?" She asks, quizzically, "if not, then what are you doing here?"

He raised a brow, "and why are you here?"

Her cheeks flushed, realization washing over her as he scanned her outfit. "Well, you see-,"

"Oh no, no, you don't have to tell me," he says, a smirk on his face, "hi, the names Lance,"

'Oh, he's that type.' She thought, a smile plastered on her face, "(y/n)."

"-Lance, hurry up or we'll leave you behind," another male's voice interrupts.

"I'm coming," Lance grumbles back, blue hues staring, slowly sending her in a trance, "Hunk that idiot, interrupting like that.."

"Hunk?" She asks, once again confused.

"Oh, he's just visiting," Lance says, hand extended, "want to meet him?"

She nods, the simple touch of his hand sending adrenaline through her body, quite like electricity and in an instant, she was being lead to another place. The warmth of his gentle touch made (y/n) smile and she could hear the laughing of more than just one person, a group perhaps. All those whirling thoughts overflowed, What are Soulmates really? What do they exist for? For the first time in her life, she felt complete. Complete? If she were to define it better, she had felt whole again. Like that little piece was gone missing and she finally understood, the reasoning of the secrecy behind Soulmates. Was it only people who've experienced this sensation that they could no longer describe it? Newly formed questions formed as she met with Lance's new friends.

'What are Soulmates anyway?' Even when she met hers just moments before the introductions of his friends, she still had no clue. And if anyone were to ask her that same question, how would she answer? Probably the same, hidden behind a smile she would admit she had no idea. It could only be answered through feelings, touch, and the marvellous moments that would soon come.