Dark Nights In Gotham City

PROLOGUE

My father always told me stories about him...

Stories about the mysterious knight of Gotham City. Someone who in the shadows of the night, protects the weak and seeks justice in hopes of making Gotham City a better place, but I never thought I would meet him in person.

I can still vividly remember the first time I saw him...

The first time I saw THE Batman.

His figure victoriously standing on top of his enemies, black cape gently flowing as he stood as quiet as the night.

Much of that night still remains a blur, but one thing was clear,

Batman saved me.

I was nine years old when it happened.

The sky above us was dark with heavy clouds threatening rain, accompanied by a pleasant breeze.

My parents and I walked down the empty streets hand in hand after the dinner we attended for Wayne Enterprises. The night was filled with laughter as my parents talked about how pleasant the night had been, their conversation slowly dying down as we hear a loud noise at the end of the street.

Gotham's streets were infamous for their high crime rate, so it didn't take much for us to quicken our pace, hoping to reach the car before whatever was out there reached us first.

At some point, I remember letting go of my mother's hand, the sound of her heels gone as if she never been there in the first place.

I don't know why but I remember looking back, a frown etched on my face when my mother was nowhere in sight.

Slowly reaching out, I pulled my father's jacket to get his attention.

"Yes sweetie?" he calmly said looking at me with his dark brown eyes. "What's wrong?"

"Where's mommy? She was just with us but I can't see her anymore." I said, jumping slightly when another sound echoed again.

I remember my father stopping, his eyes looking around the area before scooping me in his arms, his hand holding my head against his chest for reassurance.

"Don't worry sweets, I will find mommy. But first let's get to the car shall we?"

I could feel his breath tickling my ear, his warmth calming me down until I heard footsteps behind us.

"Don't look." My father said, forcing my head back into his chest as I tried to peek. "Daddy is going to talk to them okay? Just stand behind me Victoria." He added in a stern tone, gently putting me down and guiding me behind him with his hand.

"We don't want any trouble." My dad calls out, tightening his grip on my back as the shadows become clearer until they are right in front of us.

"Give us what we want and nobody gets hurt." A man says in a low voice.

"And what would that be?" My father asks.

"Don't play dumb." The man scowls. "Give it to us or we'll kill her." He adds stepping to the side, bringing into view my mother's kneeled form behind him.

"Alright." My father says. "Just don't hurt them."

"Daddy, what's going on?" I asked pulling his jacket with my fist, not understanding what was going on.

"Everything is okay sweetheart, don't be afraid." He replied giving me a smile.

"Hurry up!" The man impatiently calls out. "We don't have all the time in the world."