Chapter 39

Jamie

The roar of the blazing fire, the sounds of the dying and wounded on the bloody ground almost turned me back to insanity. Out of all the cries a long and sorrowful howl echoes through the blood stained plain. That howl is too familiar to me, its Odin. Something has upset him terribly. And when the sun comes up in a few hours, and we all lay in the aftermath, I will find the root of his sorrow. 

I and my troop are beaten and almost dead. All of the once shiny armor is painted with the blood of our enemies. I saw Elder Sirius Krov' die, and Hung He is fighting for his life against his own son. The younger Elder's forces have helped, but we need much more or this may not go well at all. Our soldiers are dropping quicker than flies, and this might end in a very grim defeat. The wolves attack me violently, I fight them off for as long as I can until one finally shoves me down.

As her ax was about to kill me a lone arrow strikes her down. Another wolf comes flying at me, and a smaller girl tackles the wolf down, mounts him and stabs him to death. To my shock and surprise and utter terror is Marie. I quickly get up and grab her.

"What are you doing out here?! Get back inside!!" Marie shakes her head no.

"I can't! I have to be with you Jamie! I could hear all the screaming, and the worse thoughts would come into my mind! Please just come back inside. I can't loose you." I sigh to myself and nod, one of my soldiers runs up to us.

"My Lady! We have to fall back! Were getting slaughtered!" Just as he said that the wolf line breaks through.

"Fall back! Regroup!" I yell before taking off with Marie to the high fort in the distance. Marie is trying to keep up with me, but her human speed is just too inferior to mine. The wolves behind us are getting closer and closer. They are ripping through my retreating line. Soon enough we are surrounded. Marie draws her bow and aims at one of the wolves and takes them down. Soon as that one falls another three take their place.

"Listen to me Marie, you must stay close to me. No matter what don't stray from me." Marie nods and draws three arrows from her bow, all of that I noticed are tipped with sliver and liquid wolfbane, a very deadly combination. In a flash she shoots them off and grabs more. I begin to attack them while I keep an eye on Marie. She is holding her own over there. The training with Dawn and Fawn must have really done wonders, she is like an assassin with that bow.

Every strike is deadly, Dawn's work obviously. I see a horse running to us, I grab her hand and pull her into my body. I jump up from the ground to the horse and easily mount it. Marie sits in front of me as I try to turn the horse around to go back to the fort. I look behind us and see a pack of wolves following us. Marie sees them and shifts herself around me.

"Keep going. I got them." She draws her bow and starts to fire at them. She hits about five of them in a pressure point that I know if hit right is deadly to a wolf. The wolves still gain on us and start to bite at the horses legs, not only that, a wall of our own soldiers is blocking us in. Vladimir is telling the second wave to push forward. When Vladimir sees our predicament he shoots lighting from his hands. The wolves behind us are no more after. He jumps down from his horse and helps Marie down. I jump down and see that we are trapped by our own army.

"Vlad, I have to get her back in the fort." He turns back to me after he blast another wolf with a gust of wind.

"I'll get you in as soon as I can, but for now it looks like you have to fight." With a wave of his hand a suit of armor covers Marie. Her quiver is fully stocked again with arrows, and her bow looks like its made of more expensive wood. The armor covering her looks like it will hold at least until I get her safely inside. The wolves that have turned feral begin to change into their forms.