Sleeveless -Chapter 13

"Oh.. Mee..ya, hey is this your sister?" Farim tickles Hima and she giggled. Hima has never allowed anyone else other than her own family to carry her. It was surprising that she allowed Farim into her circle and behaved as if she knew him for a very long time. 

"Yea.. she is.." I blushed looking at the way he was handling her, gently yet playfully. He would be a great dad. 

"You know Meeya.. she looks just like you. Too cute" he whispered as he kissed her on the cheeks. I didn't know why but I felt like it was for me. I could feel the heat growing in my cheeks. By that time they must be beyond an attractive rosiness. They must be marking me out as a social incompetent. I felt as if all my insecurities were writ large across my face and there was nowhere to hide. As my anxieties mounted they became a circle, like a song stuck on repeat 

I turn around and scurried to answer a phone that disrupted our conversation.

"Hello.. ah ma. ok ma. Will do so ma." I nodded to every word my mom was telling me. There were going to be many guests coming that afternoon. And also there will be tailors taking measurements for the dress I was going to wear on the wedding day. So she instructed me on what to do. As I was talking to my mom on the phone, Hima moved like her knees were just hinges, wobbling to and fro before falling on her padded bottom. Then she clapped like it was all part of the plan and rolled to her stomach to get up again. "Aww she is soo beautiful" I heard a whisper just right beside my ear and I felt as if that person was too close. I quickly turned around. I gasped. He placed his palms on my mouth and held my left arm tightly.

"Meeya do not make any noise! Everyone is in the kitchen and your parents are out. This is the right time to show you something. Follow me upstairs!" he whispered as he held my right hand and tip toed to the stairs. I felt a shiver running down my spine.  

We briskly walked up without making any sound. I followed him towards a room that he was heading and I realize that I was being blindfolded.

"Farim! I am scared! My mom would come anytime soon. Please hurry up!" I screamed in fear of darkness.

"Open your eyes Pakki!" he said as he removed the blindfold slowly. 

"Happy belated birthday! I really missed when you left to Singapore you know that! You have to promise me now that you will be by my side no matter what happens around us. And this keychain that I did myself resembles unity and love. I know I may not be best at making stuff or surprising you but I tried! You like it?" He shrugged as he passed me a keychain that was beautiful and I really praise his efforts! It took a second or two for the scene to sink it, even though it was right before my eyes, larger than life. Then I felt my lips stretch wider into gaping grin and my eyebrows arch for the sky. Then from his back, he took this gigantic teddy bear with a heart imprinted in the center.

 Then from his back, he took this gigantic teddy bear with a heart imprinted in the center

 It was written, LOVE. And I swear that was the sweetest gift that he could have given. I wasn't a bear kind of person but the act counts. I don't know how he could maintain such a blur face after doing all of that. 

"Thank you... I'll reply to you soon." I giggled as I hugged the teddy bear that was half my size and kissed it on the cheeks. "That's for you" I whispered to his ears and I saw him turning red. That time he was very fair so it was quite obvious. Right as I was enjoying the moment. I heard the door bell ring and a lot of people noises. That's when I recalled what my mom told me. 

"Don't go anywhere ok Farim. I'll be right back. I'll tell Syadeek that you are calling him. He will keep you company." I hurried and ran downstairs to welcome the guests and to get stuff done. 

I was in a large room, the only room that had aircon, filled with relatives and tailors measuring their sizes. My mom was there holding my sleeveless blue chuddihar that I had selected for the wedding. I am a very conserved person so most of the time I didn't like showing my skin, mostly due to insecurity as I had hairy arms and legs, I blame my Indian genetics. So obviously sleeveless clothes and I don't get along. She instructed the tailor how the material for my sleeves should look like, with her bold and loud voice, as she stood there pointing fingers at me. In an instance, she walked towards me and demanded me to wear the blue dress that had no sleeves. I felt shy and abused because there were so many relatives around me and they were just staring at me, probably because I was ugly. 

"No.. ma .. I am not comfortable, after they stitch the sleeves I'll wear it," I whispered to my mom hoping she will let me go. 

"Ei, don't make me slap you right here, in front of everybody. Don't think that you have the most beautiful arms that everybody will lay their eyes on you. Nobody will look. Now just wear this and put your hands up" she glared and that is when I knew I had to obey her. 

Tears welled up as I wore it showing my bare arms, flashing my hairy arms to the 'wonderful' gossips queens in front of me

Tears welled up as I wore it showing my bare arms, flashing my hairy arms to the 'wonderful' gossips queens in front of me. I lifted up my hands and immediately my mom pulled my armpit hairs and whispered " why you did not shave, you dumb buffalo. Why are you here to only bring shame to me?". And that was when I realized I didn't shave and people were staring and gossiping behind the back. That time I felt literally abused, by looks. My mom pinched on my thighs whenever I tried to cover my armpits.  

The pain wasn't sharp like a needle point or a knife, it burned around my thigh better than boiling water. Everything felt scolded and, move or not, I  was in more pain than I could have ever imagined was possible. I had always been so self-conscious when I cried but that time, I just gave way to the enormity of my grief. I sobbed openly and the tears dripped down my eyes, raining down onto the wooden floor. My breathing was ragged, gasping and the strength left my legs. 

I quickly got dressed and ran upstairs wiping my tears that were leaving a trail down the steps. 

HEY GUYS

Comment on what you are thinking and hit the vote button!! 

PLAY THE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC ABOVE- it really shows the emotions of this Chapter.