INDIA - Chapter 5

We all were set to go to India. All our bags, luggage things were packed. I secretly shove a gift box in a luggage. That gift was specially bought for Farim, I know I won't be his but at least I can maintain a friendship. The gift was a bracelet with his name on it - F-A-R-I-M, and a key chain with two keys. I had that one key and I was giving him the other. It was like a key to friendship.I hoped it was relationship but no I am unlucky.

"Hey Fairose, I am going already. Do you want anything? " I whisper to my closest girlfriend that I know since I was 5. 

" I hate India, WHY would I even want anything from that filthy country? Have nice journey ok " she exclaimed. Fairose hates India to the chore. So much that she cringes when she hears about Indians or see typical Indians on the streets. She wouldn't even travel to 'Little India', a popular place in Singapore for Indians to shop, eat and celebrate occasions like 'Thaipusam','Ponggul' and ' Deepavali'. The irony is she herself is an Indian but brought up by parents who were born and brought up in Singapore. 

"Ok bye! I'll miss you'' I cut the phone. I didn't tell anyone about Farim and my feelings towards him. I kept it all to my heart. 

We boarded the flight from Changi Airport, Singapore, at 8.10 in the morning.As the flight took off, I felt my stomach drop. Terrified, I thought of the plane crashing. All negative thoughts went through my mind. " Ya Allah help me" I muttered as I looked out the window to see the whole Singapore as a tiny dot. Yes, Singapore is that small.  I quickly closed my eyes and slept.

"Flight attendants, prepare for landing please

"Flight attendants, prepare for landing please."

"Cabin crew, please take your seats for landing."  

I opened my eyes and looked at the time. Was it 5 hours since slept? WTH. the flight was trembling and I tightly held onto my seat.  I can't believe I actually skipped my meal!My stomach was growling out of fear and hunger. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Chennai Airport. Local time is 1.20 pm and the temperature is 38-degree celsius.For your safety and comfort, please remain seated with your seatbelt fastened until the Captain turns off the Fasten Seat Belt sign. This will indicate that we have parked at the gate and that it is safe for you to move about. Please check around your seat for any personal belongings you may have brought on board with you and please use caution when opening the overhead bins, as heavy articles may have shifted around during the flight.If you require deplaning assistance, please remain in your seat until all other passengers have deplaned. One of our crew members will then be pleased to assist you.On behalf of Singapore Airlines and the entire crew, I'd like to thank you for joining us on this trip and we are looking forward to seeing you on board again in the near future. Have a nice day!"  says the cabin crew.

Immediately all the passengers jumped out of their seats and started unloading their cabins. It was so hectic. The babies were crying, people were speaking at the top of their voices. The Indians were so impatient. One of the men, who had a bald head in his mid-60s, started shouting " Open the doors, there are so many people waiting! " in his Indian accent.

The flight attendant obeyed by their orders, mainly to not spoil their reputation, and opened the doors. People gushed out and I followed my family. Once I step out of Chennai airport, I am overwhelmed with the number of people crowded like in an inauguration.  It smelt just like " Little India " back in my country. Fairose was true, it was filthy but it was a whole new culture. Less modernized, more rural. The air was filled with dust and sand. I could see spits all over the floor here and there. It made want to puke. However, I saw happiness in people's faces which lacks in Singapore. I wondered how they were happy in such conditions. 

It took 6 hours drive to my village, Thanjavur. Oh boy, the drive gave me so much of memories I had when I was 7. I was wearing jeans and a black top that fell down to my knees. I was having a scarf over my chest and head. Since I have not gotten puberty yet, it is not compulsory for me to cover up. But I chose to as I was a grown woman with obvious features. In India, the guys will stare at you and your body until you feel so uncomfortable that many women choose to cover up even if they are nonmuslims.  

We arrived at Thanjavur at 2 am in the morning, and my Father's bungalow lights turned on. It was a huge house from outside. It had large gold plated gates. My paternal grandfather built it in the 40s and renovated it recently. It was beautiful. Right as I stepped into the house, there was a humongous chandelier right in the middle of the ceiling. The house was like a palace! I think my grandfather was really rich back in his time. There was a spiral staircase leading to the second floor. We left all our bags and things in a room downstairs and freshen up. 

Suddenly, my heart started beating in a fast rhythm. And I began to feel anxious. Anxious for what? Maybe since I didn't eat anything? 

I walked out of the room, to see someone walking down the stairs. My eyes wide open, my heart stopped. I ran forward closing my face with a scarf as fast as I can towards the kitchen. 

Hey guys 

WHO was it ?? Could it be someone she hates? or don't want to see?