»part 1 » limbo land

Start from the beginning

Renee sighed and sat next to me, "I don't know why you insisted on riding coach. I could have easily got us first class." She ran her hand through her long curled brown hair and eyed the people around her.

I put my earbuds in and pursed my lips, hoping that she would shut up and let me sleep. It was the middle of the night when I got the call from Kev. I was going to wait until the morning to head out but the fear was eating at me so I got the first flight out which was surprisingly quick. When I told my mom about Liam, she didn't seem too phased by it. She never got to meet him which hurt my heart even more. At first she strongly protested me leaving because she didn't want 'the family to be apart'.  After yelling at me forever she finally agreed for me to go as long as I brought my "step-sister" Renee. She's convinced we'll be back in a few days.

I saw Renee roll her eyes before placing a sleeping mask over her eyes, "What's this kids name again?"

I scowled at her through her sleeping mask. This kid? This wasn't just any other kid. Liam was practically my little brother. I changed his diapers all the time and feed him stale cheerios every morning. When all the Gallagher's were out doing crazy shit, I was the one taking care of him. This kid was family.

I rolled my eyes before pressing play on my music, "Liam."

I heard her huff before falling asleep. I wanted to choke her out with her neck pillow. I was tired and scared which is never a good combination. The small plane reeked of old man cologne and farts. I felt like I couldn't breathe. None of it mattered though, I needed to get home.

This was going to be a long ride.

~

The 4 hour plane ride felt like 14. I didn't sleep a wink and the little brat seated behind me wouldn't stop kicking my stupid chair. Renee sure slept like a fucking baby though. As soon as we got out of the airport, she insisted that she needed more sleep so we went to the nearest hotel we could find. Of course she rented out the most expensive suite she could get. The girl came from riches where as I came from rags.

As soon as we touched down, my heart wouldn't stop hurting. It was racing and I couldn't get it to stop. My mind was running like it was on drugs. I couldn't stop thinking about Liam. Kev didn't explain much on the phone except that Liam had a drug overdose. How the fuck did that happen? I have no clue but I needed to find out. At this point, I don't know what his condition is and it's killing me slowly. I haven't even had enough space to think about....Lip. But I couldn't, not now. Because he doesn't matter right now. All that matters is that little boy.

"My cab's outside. Did you need anything before I left?" I asked the spoiled brat as I swung my lucky backpack over my shoulder.

Renee's nose turned up in disgust as she sat on the couch, "They don't have any booze here. You mind picking up a bottle of Hennessy on your way back?" Fucking alcoholic.

Annoyance prickled at me, "Yeah, whatever." I said quickly before running out the door and down the stairs.

Seconds and minutes were passing by as I grew more worrisome. This was going to be the first time in two years that I was going to see the family that I left behind. I don't know if I should be happy or scared shitless. There was a reason I screened all their calls and now I was finally going to face them.

~

I wiped my clammy hands against my jeans as I reached the front desk, "Excuse me?" I asked the nurse who was staring at her phone absent mindlessly.

She smacked her gum before glancing up at me, "Yes?" Her blonde hair was pinned tight at the top of her head as she wore too tight pink scrubs.

I scrunched my nose because her attitude was atrocious, "I'm here to see Liam Gallagher?"