Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Justin woke from the dream from the wetness of his palms and face. His racing heartbeat made it increasingly difficult to fall asleep.
The temperature of the room was a desert. Everything was wrong in his eyes.

Justin's POV:

I looked at the clock and it read 2:15am.
"Why the hell am I awake?" I mumbled to myself as I jumped out of bed.

I automatically went to the kitchen to see what I had. I grabbed some Chinese take out I had ordered a few days ago. I put it in the microwave for a few minutes to reheat it.

Within a few moments, I was watching television from the couch.

Then, a loud banging on the door made me jump. I walked consciously to the door. I reached for the door, turned the knob and who I saw was unfamiliar to me. Her face looked young, her skin was fair and she had a phone in her hands.

"I'm Maddie and I need your help." The young girl told me in a matter of fact tone.

"This guy named Mauritius kidnapped me and Darcy. He said if I didn't corporate, he would kill me and her." I stared at her with disbelief.

"Um, are you high?" I ask the barely 15 year old. She pulled out her phone and showed me a message. The last Kik message that M sent.

"W-Why do you have that?" I ask, immediately gaining curiosity in the girl's phone.

"It's kik. It's a messaging app." She explained. I grabbed it forcibly out of her hand.

"I know what it is, I mean, why do you have this conversation?" I asked.

"I told you. I'm Maddie." She replied, grabbing her phone out of my hand. Then, she started to walk away.

"Wait!" I yelled, running towards the girl and grabbing her by the arm.

I took a deep breath and said, "What do you need help with?"

*Later*

Justin's POV:

"A few months after we started talking, a man kept following me around everywhere. He would follow my parents' car to and from my school, to my sports' practices and when I went over to my friends' houses. One night, it was late and I was walking home from tutoring. This man grabbed me from behind and said, they knew you and Darcy. If I refused to corporate with him, he would kill you and her. He forced me to send that last message from me and he was watching me type the message the entire time. I tried to get him to treat her right. I persuaded him to give her food and drinks. I did everything I could. And he made me seem like the bad guy. I don't know what he was doing. I was trying my best." She finished her story, lightly crying at the hard truth.

"I failed you." She wailed out and sobbed. Her face turned red very quickly.

I felt my heart being stabbed over and over again. A thousand stab wounds punctuated my heart and my face felt wet with tears.

Maddie went over; coiling her arm around me.
"Are you okay?" She asked as I lost all control and wept into her shoulder.

Why was I crying? I barely knew this girl but she already meant so much to me.

Who knew you could love someone just with a few simple conversations?

A/N: Hi readers! I hope you are having a fabulous weekend! How do you feel about what happened? Please leave your thoughts in the comments below. It helps me a lot. Vote on this chapter if you cried during this chapter. I know I almost cried writing it. Thank you for reading!