New Life

Two months later

(King James POV)

I glared at the guard kneeling down before me. This guard was responsible for protecting Alice and our children. This guard failed miserably to do what was expected of him. Now they are gone and I am alone again. For two months the guard has been tortured and cast in the darkness in the dungeons.

"Please My King, I am sorry. I did my best. They managed to slip out without me seeing them. I was guarding the door as ordered." The guard cries, blood dripping from his bloody mouth from multiple beatings.

"Shut up!" I yell in rage. "You are the reason my family is dead, you failed in your duty to this kingdom, you failed in your duty to ME!"

I lunge from my throne grab the guard by the chain around his neck and repeatedly strike him with my fist. More bloody and battered then he already was the man cowers on the floor.

Breathing heavily I signal the throne room guards. "Take him back to the dungeon, I am finished with him for today."

They pick him up and drag him from the throne room.

I leave the throne room to go to the gardens to calm my anger and to also visit the three graves of the people that were most precious to me. The many beautiful flowers surrounding Alice, Ben and Emma's graves gives off a nice sweet smell.

"Oh my precious family I miss you so much." I speak to them as a tear fell from my eye. I sit in silence for some time before saying goodbye, rising to return to the castle.

My path takes me past the grave of Lori, she died two years previous from an illness. Tilting my head a little to show my respect, Lori worked in the castle almost all her life and she had cared for me as I grew up from being an infant to a toddler to a young man and she continued to serve me until her passing. The castle isn't the same without her. I must admit, I miss her greatly.

After the death of my beloved Alice I rid the castle of everyone and everything that reminds me of her. I banished the servent girl Dorothy from the castle. Her only purpose while Alice had been living was to keep Alice in line after the wedding. As the years passed I had thought less and less of the need to have Dorothy around but Alice had insisted that she remain. But after her death I had told the servent girl to flee before I took her life and Dorothy had raced from the castle as fast as her feet could carry her.

(Narrator's POV)

King James settles back on the bed in his chambers, his loss has left him tired and without joy. Each day he feels as if he is dying a little more and a little more. He has no desire to go on without Alice at his side. There cannot ever be another, the thought is unbearable to him. King James has finally come to the belief that he will die of a broken heart soon. He decides just this moment that if he is going to die then his kingdom must die with him as well. If Alice cannot live, no one else in Novak will survive either. He will order his army to destroy the villages and burn them to the ground! Leave no living thing or person behind. All must die.

The kings anger and unbearable sorrow mixes with his flames of insanity that could only be put out in the presence of Alice, now mixing together causing the king to go mad and lust for blood to help satisfy his rage before the final beat of his shattering heart.

(Alice's POV)

The village is burning to the ground, people screaming and running for their lives as knights shoot flaming arrows from their crossbows at them.

"Ben! Emma!" I call out in panic as I try to find them in all the chaos.

"Mama!" Ben's voice calls back. I can see him and Emma by the river with friends.