Caught

(Alice's POV)

After Ricky, Dorothy and I awoke the next morning we hurried off to get the supplies we would need for the long dangerous trip ahead. Bags hung over our shoulders with not only our food but also some clothing we managed to smuggle out of the castle. Our feet beat the well worn paths that will take us to the village by the ocean, to a ship that will carry us to freedom. We slip carefully along staying off of the main roads to avoid any castle guards that may be searching for me.

We walked for a few hours passing the time as we dreamed of the future, dreamed of being free. The air was filled with the smell of something burning and a huge cloud hung a short distance in front of us, we were suddenly aware of the sound of approaching horses. Leaving the path we hurried into the forest hoping to hide there as we continued toward the ocean, looking out from our place of cover we saw an entire village on fire. Wooden houses burning fiercely, people screaming and crying in confusion and fear. I heard screams of a different kind and I watched in disbelief as suddenly the king's knights filled my view slashing and hacking at the people before them. Their swords swinging powerfully, hurting and Killing people as they found them.

"No, no, they cannot do this." My voice was filled with shock and disbelief.

"We have to go now." Dorothy said in panic but a look in her eyes that showed she knew what was happening. She understood the meaning behind the actions. I could not look away. Those poor people.

We watched as a young woman ran toward our hiding place. We pulled back further from sight, hoping she would run past us and not see us. A knight on horseback caught her just as she reached the edge of the forest grabbing her by the hair and yanking her hard toward him as he dismounted his horse. He dragged her to her feet using a handful of her dark hair before he pushed her roughly against the trunk of a tree, his laughter at her pain and fear reaching our ears. "P-please do not kill me!" The girl begged.

"Orders from the King says everyone dies until we return the girl that is to be his bride." The knights voice is full of excitement at the Killing he will soon do.

I cannot stop the quick sound of my breath as it catches in my throat at his words. It is because of me these people are dying. I can feel myself shake as the meaning hits me. "Alice are you okay?" Ricky whispers in concern.

"All of those people are being killed because of me, I should have never left the castle." I said as tears began running from my eyes.

"Look away from them Alice, we need to leave." Ricky's voice is firm as he starts pulling me deeper into the forest away from the Killings.

I struggle to breathe as Ricky's hand holds mine tightly. I stand firm not allowing him to take me any further away. My eyes glued to the sight of the knight and the girl, he has unsheathed his sword and I know she will soon die but his hand stops from its death blow as other horses and knights ride up around him. The sight of King James in the group or maybe his voice has stopped the Killing of this girl for now.

Like it was in my own village the king is again dressed in black armour but without a helmet. Keeping his hand twisted in the peasant girl's hair the knight drops to his knees and pulls the girl even lower then himself before the king. His voice is filled with respect as he speaks to the man before him. "My King." His head bowed deeply as he pushed the girl even further down into the ground demanding respect from her for the king.

The king dismounted and walked up to the girl who was shaking in fear even as she was pinned to the ground. The knight releases his grip on the girl as the king waves him away. The king kneels beside the girl, and gently touches her, his voice almost soft. "Look at me young one." He waits until she slowly raises her head before he reaches out a hand to push away the long black strands of hair that hid her face. "What is your name?" The king asked with a small smile. Trying to calm her fear enough for her to answer him.