The other kingdom

Several years later

(Alice's POV)

"Excuse me My Lady but the princess will not go to sleep for me, she insists she needs you." My maid says as she stands at the door of the royal bed chambers holding a small child that twists and turns in her arms. Looking up at my six year old daughter I reach out to take her from the maid and hold her in my own arms.

I stand with a smile on my face as I  look down at my child Emma. "Come along Emma."

Smiling at the young maid my voice is light hearted, "Some days a girl just needs her mama I suppose. Thank you I will take care of this."

Setting Emma's feet firmly on the floor and taking her hand we make our way to Emma's bed chamber. Emma's tired little voice chatters away as we walk. I help her climb into her bed before a quick glance over to see my five year old boy Ben curled up in his own bed a few feet away. He sleeps peacefully, his face soft, he almost looks like an angel in the dim light.

Tugging the covers around Emma, I kiss her softly and settle down to tell her a story knowing that soon she will be asleep too. Minutes later I leave the room as both children sleep.

A few steps and I'm back in the royal bed chambers that I share with my husband. It has become less of a prison but I am still far from happy with my life. Two children are enough for me but James continues to want more. I pray each time we make love that no more children will come from our union. I have made peace with my life, the only happiness and joy I know is Emma and Ben. I feel blessed to have them.

James is a busy man, running a kingdom is demanding of his time and energy. I see him in a few hurried moments during the day but usually only at meal times or later in our chambers at the days end. The days have passed more quickly then I thought they ever could, the seasons change more rapidly and the years have rolled past. I am no longer the young unknowing farm girl I once was having having spent theses years learning all that I can about everything royal. I still hope to someday be free of all of this. It is a wish that has stayed with me since the first day I was brought here to the castle.

As I enter the bed chambers I see James has returned, stretched out on the bed still awake. A smile on his face as he asks about the children. He truly does love them, of that I can have no doubt. In answer to his question I answer as I slip into my comfortable and much loved night clothes, "yes James they are asleep. They have had a wonderful day and tired themselves out."

His arms slip around me pulling me near him as I settle into bed beside him. "You must be tired my precious Alice. The children I am sure keep you busy and must tire you greatly. Maybe that is why you are not again with child, you are too worn at the days end." His voice is full of concern but also has an edge to it. Soon I remember why James is more tense than usual.

"Tomorrow is the day you journey to the other kingdom, is it not James?" I ask already knowing the answer.

"Yes, I have business that cannot wait any longer. I do not want to meet with my uncle to discuss business but it cannot be helped. I must do what I must do." His voice is dull, tense with stress and full of hatred.

"Perhaps the children and I could accompany you on this journey husband. It would be an adventure for them, and they could ease your worries after a long day of discussions. You know how they help you to relax and see things in a much simpler way." I say in my soothing voice.

"I am not certain that is a good idea Alice, it is a long journey. You are right about the children helping to ease my worries at the end of a long day. It helps me to think more clearly as well." King James is lost in thought as he thinks about the idea I have made know. "We leave shortly after the morning bells ring, it is a long journey. Can you be ready then?"