Morning Ride

(Alice)

Ding Ding Ding!

Groaning as I opened my eyes hoping that I would be back in my own bed at home. I took a shakey breath when I saw I was not back home but still at the castle. I dragged myself out of bed, got dressed quietly before putting my hair up and walked out of the room.

Upon entering the kitchen I noticed a lot of people sitting at the long wooden table eating as quickly as possible, almost like they were racing to get finished.

"Good you are awake, come and have your breakfast quickly. You have an hour before the second ringing of the morning bells, then you have to bring the king his breakfast." Said the old woman who's name I still do not know, as she pulled me over to the table and sat me down. I looked around the table seeing a few other girls dressed very much like me. The few boys were dressed in clothes for gardeners and stable boys.

One of the boys grabbed my attention. With blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes that I could stare into for days. He looked well built. Let's just say he's incredibly handsome.

I heard someone clear their throat causing me to look away from the blonde haired boy to the girl sitting beside him.
She hid coal black hair pulled back tightly into a bun, and brown eyes that glittered with hate as she glared at me.

"So your the kings new personal servant." She said in a rude way and I nodded.
"You will be dead by the end of the week." She chuckled before sipping her water from a wooden cup.

"Mandy! Apologize now, you all know how scary it was on your first day of this life." The old woman said while setting down a small plate of eggs, ham and cheese in front of me.

The girl named Mandy sighed in annoyance. "I'm so sorry." She said in a fake sad voice. Ignoring her I started to eat. Once everyone was done their food they quickly ran out of the kitchen, probably to start their work.

"The kings breakfast is ready." The old woman said, pointing to a tray that held eggs, bacon, bread and a silver chalice with water. "Place it on the same table as last night but you must make up the bed before leaving the chamber. Any questions?"

"What's your name?" I dared to ask.

"Lori." She answered with a smile. Nodding I walked out the door.

I followed the same hallway as yesterday till I got to the throne room. I slowly walked up the stairs, then along the hallway that seems much shorter today then it did yesterday, until I reached the king's bed chambers. I took a deep breath before softly knocking on the door

"Enter." The King said from the other side of the door.
I slowly opened the door and using short steps I entered the king's chamber. King James stood in front of a big window near his bed, hands held behind his back. Not fully dressed yet he wore black trousers, knee tall black boots with a dagger pocket easily seen on the side but no shirt! His upper body was still unclothed. He turned around to look at me and quickly I cast my eyes to the floor while my feet carried me rapidly across the room to the table where I placed his breakfast tray. I started towards the opposite side of the bed from where King James stood and began to straighten the covers.

"Tell me about yourself Alice." He asked taking me by surprise, I can see him staring at me out of the corner of my eye.

I looked up slowly and gave him a confused look.

"I-I don't understand your majesty." why would he want to know more about me? I'm only a servent.

"I am curious about you. I have never lived in your village nor worked as you have. Tell me what your life was like before you came to my castle. Tell me what you enjoyed about your life in the village."